1969 E/J 55hp starting problems

psuguy131

Cadet
I am trying to start a used, previously "running" 1969 55hp hydro-electric E/J motor. After most of the connections have been made, the engine will turn over well, but no spark at the plugs. I have NOT connected the throttle/control box.....yet. Also, the motor is stuck in forward. The CLYMER manual says that this is because of bad diodes. Fine. But my friend, who's motor is exactly the same, starts fine from being in forward gear. So, is there a safety issue I must resolve, or is the "CDI BOX" bad? Many years as an automotive mechanic. Little marine/2-stroke knowledge to date. <br />Also, there is a 1.5" square black box on the right side (port?)(from the rear) that when depressed, a voltage is signaled, but to what? "Button" moves maybe 1/32" to activate. Thanks to all who help a novice marainer!!

ddaigle

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1969 E/J 55hp starting problems

The hydroelectric is always in fwd unless you have power to the solenoids in the lower unit and the motor is cranking or running. This ignition also requires 12 volts from the battery to run(it will not run without power from a battery like other ignitions) so hooking up most of the wires is probably not good enough. Do a search for Joe Reeves on this forum as he has many good posts on these motors and is a very learned mechanic.

REELSPORT

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have the same motor and after getting your wiring straight if you find that the cd amplifier<br />is bad which is the case most of the time on these used motors you can save some major bucks by switching to a 12 volt coil and condenser. The weakest part of these motors are the electrical system and the amplifiers will burn out if everything is not correct including using the right battery and making sure it is charged to the max. The most important thing to do is get you a good manual if you dont already have one, and it will make a lot things clear to you.<br />good luck and keep us posted.

craigvalk

Seaman

The first thing to do is buy the service manual.<br />ddaigle is right, with electric shift the lower end defaults to forward gear. If you don't have the control box hooked up you can't get it to run properly. Those motors are very finicky, and if you don't use a properly rated battery it won't run right, and a weak battery can cause the CDI box to fail prematurely. Large coin for those babies.....<br /><br />BUY THE BOOK, review it, then make your effort to start it.<br /><br />How long was the motor sitting? Change the lower end oil, and expect to possibly rebuild carbs if it's been sitting any length of time.<br />Also be sure the water pump impeller is fresh.<br /><br />And yes, Joe Reeves has forgotten more about these motors than anyone here will ever learn.<br />He is the master......<br /><br /><br />Good luck

psuguy131

Cadet

REELSPORT assistance:<br />Ok, I have deceided to re-build the wiring harness. While this presents no major challenges, I have come across a situation I was wondering if you could answer for me. The CYLMER manual does a good job in basic wiring's, but I have a specific question about the function of the shift switch in the control box. I have 3 wires (purple, green, and blue). I know that green is forward and blue is reverse, and most likely, purple is the power. But, what should I be receiving from the wires in terms of a signal when the lever is forward, backward? Currently, with a DVOM, I am getting current starting at purple to the green in forward and nothing in backward. Then, I can get blue in forward and nothing in backward. Shouldn't green work on front and blue on back? I can dissamble this (and have) to figure it out. Help!!

Xcusme

Commander

If memory serves:<br /><br />12v to the green wire = Neutral<br />12v to both wires, green and blue = Reverse<br />No voltage to either green OR blue = Forward

psuguy131

Cadet

Great news!! (Gene Wilder voice):It's Alive!!!! IT'S ALIVE!!!!<br />So I have started and ran my motor. Funny, when things are hooked up correctly, it works!!<br />My question now is for the "professional" shaders out there. The cable/steering hook-up is very close to the engine. When I raise the tilt for towing, etc, it strains the cable pullies the hte point where is starts to create a lot of tension on the rear sides of the boat. Loosening the wires results in hard steering. Is there a hinge type extension that I could install (or create) to allow the tilt to function properly?

CATransplant

Admiral

Does that motor use the old-style push and twist pinned connector for the steering? If so, I had the same problem with my old 35 hp RDS-20. The solution was to simply disconnect the steering before tilting the motor for trailering, then connect it at the ramp. Takes two seconds and takes all the strain off the cables and pullies.

CATransplant

Admiral

Does that motor use the old-style push and twist pinned connector for the steering? If so, I had the same problem with my old 35 hp RDS-20. The solution was to simply disconnect the steering before tilting the motor for trailering, then connect it at the ramp. Takes two seconds and takes all the strain off the cables and pullies.

psuguy131

Cadet

Cat, thank you. But, wouldn't the motor just flop back and forth when traveling? What about more springs?