33 hp Evinrude questions

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
First off, it is a 1965 33 hp Evinrude, Model #EO1342, Ser # 33552B. <br /><br />Anyway, it is on a buddies' boat, and it ran horrible last year then quit, and he was going to sell the whole mess cheap just to get rid of it. I did not have the time back then to look at it, but he still had it this year so I told him I would look at it for him. As it turned out, it was a blown head gasket and a weak water pump. I will replace the head gasket, and the water pump, but my question is, will I have to pull the power head off to disconect the shift linkage like on the older johnyrudes? I guess I will find out anyway when I tear into it, but a heads up will make things go a bit more quickly. <br /><br />The carb and ignition are in top form, thankfully.<br /><br />I have already popped the head off. The bottom cylinder was completely blown, and the top cylinder was partly blown. I was lead to this by the fact that after I got it running again this time, and checked the plugs, that the bottom plug was clean and had water on it.

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: 33 hp Evinrude questions

No. The shift linkage is disconnected from the window on the port side of the midsection. Remove the two screws holding the window on, and then completely remove one of the two bolts from the shift coupler behind it.<br />(Do not take that engine off unless absolutely necessary. The block hold-down bolts at the back can be a bit of a disaster if they're corroded much)<br />Lightly surface the head to get it flat again (it will need it) and torque it down with 168-192 inch lbs. The torque pattern is this:<br />..7-8..<br />.3 o 4.<br />..2-1..<br />.6 o 5.<br />.10-9..<br />I hope you can see a head in that. :) <br />I've got a '65 33hp going through rebuild right now. Just got the .020" oversize rings in the mail yesterday. :)

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
Re: 33 hp Evinrude questions

I actually can see the head pattern in that. :) Same pattern as an aluminum automotive head. Thanx for the info...