35hp johnson controls to tiller

loganmallory

Petty Officer 3rd Class
hello fellow boaters<br />i bought a 84 johnson 35hp model #J35RLCRR this past winter. i was told that it hadnt been used in 20 years. it looked brand new, mint. BUT, some bottom end bolts were missing, and a couple power head bolts were gone. also some top end parts were missing, related to removing the power head. the guy said that someone tried to change the impeller and couldnt figure out how to drop the bottom end. he wanted $500 but took my offer of $200 because of the missing parts. i found another motor 2 weeks ago which i bought for $50 because the bottom end was broken. 1982 johnson 35hp model #J35ELCND. it had the top end parts i needed, and it started awesome with the electric start. while checking everything out on the 1984, which i wanted to use because my boat doesnt have controls, i noticed a broken head bolt. when i removed the head, the block was cracked near the broken bolt. i think i should use the power head off of the 82, and put it in the 84 chassis. any suggestions on this?<br /> okay-heres my main question finally.<br /> how can i wire up the 82 power head for use on a tiller chassis? i was thinking of putting a starter button beside the stop button, but i have no clue what the wiring is on the control plug at the back of the powerhead. is this job possible, and worth it? i can remove the electric choke carb and replace it with the primer carb off of the 84, and i think i can convert the 82 to tiller easily and the recoil fits on top for back-up.<br /> any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.<br /> thanks