'74 Johnson 135hp massive oil leak

andyrm66

Cadet
It has oil dripping out of the lower water outlets. The ones that come out the side of the lower unit pretty far down, these are not exhust, but just water outlets. It only started the other day, it is lower unit lube, and there is lots of it, like a big puddle. Any ideas? pull the lower unit?

andyrm66

Cadet
Re: '74 Johnson 135hp massive oil leak

No not the intake holes, I know which ones you are refering to. When I flush the motor, with the garden hose, warm water comes out of these. I am going to see what I can find right now, will get back to you, thanks.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Those are the water intakes Andy.....them long slit like holes.<br /><br />The only place that the lube could be coming from, if your sure it's gear lube, is the seals under the water pump.<br /><br />Is it clear lube or black and thick?<br /><br />Have you check the gear lube? Any water in it? Was the engine tilted up or down?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

OK! I know the ones your talking about...right above the anti-cav plate. There round. DUHHHHH! Ain't no way gear lube should be coming from these holes.

andyrm66

Cadet

Correct, and there should be no way for 2 stroke either right?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Not that I know of Andy.....the only thing you should see maybe is a little black oil from the exhaust. Can you confirm it's gear lube and not exhaust oil?

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If it's definately gear lube, you'd better pull the LU for a closer inspection. As OBJ stated, the driveshaft seal or bearing housing under the water pump is probably the culprit. There's a lesser chance it could be the shift rod seal or gasket under the housing that holds the shift rod bushing/o-ring.

andyrm66

Cadet

Being about 95% sure it is 2 stroke, as its more black, from what i tell smells like gas rather than 90 weight. and did check the LU lube. Its full of water, nice creamy mix. How would 2 stroke be coming out of those water passages?I thought that was strictly for water, as exhust comes out of prop and the other spot on the back of the motor. If it was lower end lube it should be just like the lube thats in there, creamy and full of water, right? Anyway, what seals are involved and about how much time, I also wanted to rebuild the carbs, but then motor needs timed and all that, so where do i find a test prop? The manual says anytime it in run out of water, with it in gear to use a test prop. I did run it hooked up to the hose, in gear before I knew this fact, could it have bent mainshaft or something? Thanks

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Andy...let's cure one malady at a time and then move on. Seems the water in the lower unit needs a cure first.<br /><br />You don't need a test prop to time an engine. You can do it on the water. Muffs are just for running the engine under 2k rpm. Never try and run the engine at WOT on muffs.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

By any chance, is this the first run of the season?<br /><br />If so, and if there was water-contaminated gear oil in the lower all winter, it is likely that the water froze, expanded, and did some damage to the casing that you're just noticing now. Going to have to pull it and have a better look.<br /><br />Good luck, keep posting.

andyrm66

Cadet

Na, it had no water in it for the winter, so didnt freeze, I was ran above 2k on the muffs. Could something be bent? Causing a seal to go bad?

andyrm66

Cadet

So whats next in the water in the oil problem, order lower unit seal kit?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

I think that would be a good idea Andy. If your not sure of when the lower unit was resealed last or if ever, might give you some piece of mind and a trouble free season on the water. <br /><br />The process is not really hard. A service manual would help show you how to do it. Special tools would be a good set of sockets....you can use these to press the seals in. You could also throw in a pump kit since the lower units off.<br /><br />Check the iboats link below....it'll give you the Sierra part number for the seal kit.<br /><br /> http://www.boatmotors.com/mall/partfinder/

andyrm66

Cadet

Ok, so that would take care of the lower unit problem? As in that's where the water is commong in at? I am mechanically inclined, (machinist and wrench). I do have a Clymer manual, but with out being in there I have no idea as to whats going on. As stated, the motor has been run above 2k, with the ear muffs, and in gear, could it have bent something? What are the possible enterance points of water into the lower unit?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

There are five possible places water can get in a lower unit. The easiest to check are the drain and vent plug washers on the lower unit. These are the plugs you pull when changing the lower unit. Have they been replaced lately?<br /><br />The other places are the prop shaft seals, drive shaft seals, shift rod o-ring and bearing carrier o-ring. You probably didn't hurt any thing running it above 2k on muffs.<br /><br />I would suggest getting an OEM service manual. The Clymers is OK for just gerneral work but it's just to general. The OEM manual will give you specific info on your engine. Some places to get a reprint of the OEM manual are Ken Cook co., Marine.com, the Outboard Wizard. Just do a search for them on the web....they all have sites. It will save you $$$ in the long run.

andyrm66

Cadet

So when I order a lower unit seal kit, which pieces does it come with? Those listed? Is this what I need? 18-2692 Gear Housing Seal Kit from hereat I-boats

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

You said "If it was lower end lube it should be just like the lube thats in there, creamy and full of water, right?" WRONG. Water and or creamy oil (which indicates water) should not be in the gearcase. The way to determine where the water is getting in the gearcase is to do both a vacume and a pressure test. Find the source of the problem before you determine the fix.<br /><br />You might want to get a professional in on this one.

andyrm66

Cadet

Ok, there are 2 problems here, <br />1)Oil leaking from lower unit, wasn't sure if it was 2 stroke or L/U lube out of lower water outlets.<br />2) Water in the L/U.<br /> What I was saying, is if the oil from problem one was coming from the L/U, and coming out of the water outlet holes, it should match the lube that is is the L/U. The L/U does indded have water in it, being that the oil coming from water outlet holes has no water in it, it's simply 2 stroke. Does that part number contain prop shaft seals, drive shaft seals, shift rod o-ring and bearing carrier o-ring, as cited above? This will be much easier once I can get in there, but its not apart as of now. Heres pic of the 2 stroke. Whats the time est. like to do the seals? Thanks for everyones help so far.<br />
398e.jpg

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Can't see the pic Andy. <br /><br />Once the lower unit is off, cleaning, inpsection and repair (replacing seals) might take an hour to an 1 1/2hrs....that is if every thing comes apart easily.<br /><br />The kit should have every thing you need to do the re-seal job.

andyrm66

Cadet

Ok cool, you might have to right click <br />and click show picture, <br />here is a scan of my manual,<br />I circled all the seals. <br />Did I get them all? <br />Are those the places that water could be getting in?<br />#33, #43, #45, #21, #25. Thats five, sound good? Thanks for the help. <br />
52z0qa