V6 looper lower unit drive shaft end Play

rusty bolts

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Greetings <br /> I have a 1990 225 looper v6, in was going to replace the water pump and when I took off the pump housing,I noticed that the drive shaft has a lot of play back and forth.I have read other posts and on some this in normal ,I have to say it worries me ,my 1986 looper had none..Is the lower going to blow up Thanks j d

cvx35

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: V6 looper lower unit drive shaft end Play

Rusty, A 1990 225 has a 2 piece driveshaft held together with a rollpin.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

One of my old posts is probably one that you read. I bought a 1997 Evinrude 115 looper and as part of maintenance I put in a new water pump. When I took the water pump off of the lower unit off it freaked me out! :eek: I thought the bearings were bad in the gearcase. Others with more experience and less excitable personalities assured me this is "normal". My 115 has a 2-part driveshaft and the water pump is used to stabilize the driveshaft. My engine runs good so far (knock on wood). Don't worry, be happy.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

jimd: I water pump would not make much of a stabilizer. The lower crankshaft, and lower drive shaft bearing's tend to that. When you mention play in the shaft, are you meaning up, and down "end-play", or side to side gear lash? Some play is normal,in both respects, but the gearcase must be shimmed properly. If the gearcase has not been disassembled, or has not under gone any damage, I would say it is alright. The color of the gear oil will most times tell if there is a problem.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

Rjohnson<br /> on the OMC two part shafts the impeller is used to stabilize the shaft. let it wear some and the driveshaft seals leak every time. was not a good method but I just fix them. the leaking drive shaft seals kill a lot of good OMC cases each year due to the inability of the seal to follow the shaft with a worn pump.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

rodbolt:I never heard about that! I always thought that was the job of the upper drive shaft bearing.

rusty bolts

Petty Officer 2nd Class

side to side play the unit has not givrn me any trouble,but i like to make sure its right .thanks JD