WOULD SOMEONE OFFER ADVICE

ICOULDDROWN

Recruit
I own a 1987 Ranger bass boat. It has a 1986 Johnson 200. The previous owner told of problem with the boat falling on its face after takeoff. I found that the fuel pump was leaking when the fuel bulb was primed. Fuel pump was replaced and mechanic checked coils and compression. He said all seemed well for a motor of this age. My problem is when the boat is under full throttle conditions it will not move on out. The bow raises up and when you hit the trim the engine will trim up and then falls back down. Is this normal? On the other hand the boat really churns up the water, it runs about 3000-3500rpm but it only runs about 15-20 miles an hour. I need help on this. Here are the specs. Model# J200STLCDR,<br />Serial# G7161335 19 Foot Ranger 393, Prop has these numbers 13 1/4 x 27pp, 431719. <br />All help is greatly appreciated.

javetch

Cadet
Re: WOULD SOMEONE OFFER ADVICE

Spun Hub? Also find someone in your area that specializes in props to see if your pitch is correct.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

I would so a running test on the ignition system, and a pressure, vacuam test on the fuel system. Do you have a 6 gal, portable fuel tank to rule out the built in tank with it's anti-siphon valve? Did you replace both fuel pump's, or just one?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Skip I would do a full diagnostic check-up on this motor if I were you. Check spark to all cylinders, plugs, compression (record values), rebuild the carbs, water pump & change the gear oil. Might as well do thermostats while your at it.<br /><br />If you do not have the OMC shop & parts manuals - - get them - they are a must if you plan on doing your own service.<br /><br />It could be a spun hub but I would do the other stuff first - - my guess is the main problem is crud in the carbs.