why are tillers rated lower

muskytroller

Seaman Apprentice
I'm going to talk to my insurance and I know that the plate will say 125 HP. The sugested rating for the tiller I want is 80 HP. My choice is the 75 HP or the 90 HP. The differance is 5 MPH by my dealer's personal runs with tillers. He has run the boat with a 115T.

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: why are tillers rated lower

Muskytroller, welcome aboard!<br />Forgive me, but I'm not sure I understand the info you are looking for....could you clarify a little??? :)

walleyehed

Admiral

I'm assuming you're wanting to know why tiller oriented boats are rated for less power....<br />The main reason is the margin for error is much larger and can be more dangerous.<br />You don't have as much "positive" control with a tiller at higher speeds, because the direct steering link is your arm.<br />I believe it is simply a safety issue.

muskytroller

Seaman Apprentice

I wish I had spell check. My toy money is leaving snowmobling. Why the lower rating for tillers?

walleyehed

Admiral

First of all, sleding will break a rich man.....snomobiling is the most expensive hobby in the world, I believe....As far as the tiller outboards, the engines are not de-rated, just the rating for the boat verses a boat that has a stearing console.<br />To my knowledge, most of the major manufacturers are limiting the horsepower to 115 on all tiller models........Hope this helps... :)

muskytroller

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry not too compter fast. I am thinking of getting a 90HP and sinking my cowling and ordering a 75HP cowling. Just for insurance reasons. Does anyone see 40 to 45 mph as being a true concern in a tiller model boat?

walleyehed

Admiral

I would in no way recommend to anyone that they over-power their boat, but personally, I don't feel 10hp is "over-doing it", but the insurance company may feel differently

Link

Rear Admiral

muskytroller <br />First of all Welcome Aboard!<br /> <br />
Why are tillers rateded lower? The difference is 5 MPH <br />
It's not all about WOT (wide open throttle) but gets worse at higher speeds<br /><br />This is a test you can try yourself in a controlled situation.<br /><br />Take a 16 ft fishing boat with both a main motor say 50 HP with a helm and steering wheel and a trolling/ kicker motor.<br />First bring the boat up to say 10-15 MPH with the main motor and let go of the steering wheel..the boat will start to turn! <br />Next: Take the same boat up to 10-15 MPH with the kicker/ trolling motor and let go of the tiller ..Wham the motor slams to one side and the boat goes into a radical turn trowing people overboard or against the rails <br /><br />Most boats use props which the insurance company uses as a standard! I'm a sled owner myself and have fought this battle with a 90 HP motor on a 1700 pound 14 FT sled! Will be a 115 HP by the end of the year! :) <br /><br />I think walleyehed did a good job of explaining but wanted to add my 2 cents worth :D <br /><br />Make Every River Longer <br /><br />Got the Hat and the Stickers ;)