Docking Helper?

I have difficulty in docking my 1994 LArson 240MC when I am alone. Because of the wind conditions, it makes it difficult to maneuver the boat and grab the dock cleat at the same time.<br />Any tips.<br />I am on Lake Travis in Austin, TX

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Docking Helper?

I have seen a few different techniques for grabbing the dock...but the best solution is practice...use the wind to assist in the docking procedure..if possible..dock so the wind/current pushes you into the dock...<br /><br />You can invest in a boat hook to "grab" the cleat or you can get good at tossing the rope so it loops around cleat/post etc.<br /><br />-JustMrWill<br /><br />ps fenders are your friends...

mattttt25

Commander

telescoping boat hook is a must on any boat. comes in handy all the time.<br /><br />practice is key. even the best have a hard time when the wind and current pick up. don't get too discouraged.<br /><br />i've read about a method where you run lines within your slip to form a "v". as you come into the slip, your bow fits within the "v" and the lines hold it. you can then leave your engine at just above idle and the boat stays right there. you can then move around and get your lines tied. hard to describe without a picture, hope that made sense.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I agree on the boat hook and a here is a little tip. Before you enter your slip let her sit for a minute or two to get a good gauge on the wind etc. Then you can change your approach to take that day's conditions into account.<br /><br />Also, you might try backing as the drive will pull you as opposed to being pushed. Remember though that a right hand propeller (like yours) will usually back easier to port and can be down right stubborn to starboard . . .