plastic gas tank

alittledinghy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi Folks, I've read agreat deal on the use of plastic tanks and whether they become permanent tanks when they are over a certain capacity. I am now more confused than ever. I have just installed one 19 gal.plastic tank under the seat in my 17 foot Boston Whaler to replace the two 6 gal steel tanks that were there. I've been reading alot about static discharge and that i should remove the tank and set it on the dock and maintain nozzle/tank contact while refueling. This puppy is gonna be kinda cumbersome to put back in the boat when i am alone(like 150 lbs) so i plan to refuel while it is secured in place on the deck. Do any of you folks know the best way to mount this tank.I'd rather not have it all blow up when refueling. any suggestions

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander
Re: plastic gas tank

There is information on the US Coast guard site about safety and tank installation. I think it's under safety notices or some such thing.

alittledinghy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks for the reply,<br />been there, done that. even went so far as to email the Comdt.U.S.C.G. .The response I got from him was wishy washy at best. Folks keep refering to USCG regs.The Comdt refers to ABYS suggestions for safe boating. Great. See why I'm confused.I'm gonna try the tank manufacturer and I'll keep you posted as to what they will or won't say. Thanks, Jerome

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Well to start with not safe to fill in the boat. What happends when you fill the tank, the fuel flows in and all fumes are forced out. Since they are heavier than air the fumes stay in the hull. Any spark and boom.<br /><br />You must either take tank out of the boat or plum in a fill line and tank vent outside the hull so fumes do not end up in the boat. Even then need a bilge blower and bilge vents.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

You really only need a blower if you have a closed compartment containing an engine with a starter motor (CG regs). Not necessary with an outboard. But if you don't tank the tanks outta the boat, you really should have a filler on the outside edge of the hull. <br /><br />If you trailer your boat, you should gas up on the road, fumes have a chance to dissipate before you launch, plus it's cheaper and less chance of water in it anyway. Maybe you could exchange the 19 for a pair of 10's or something that would fit & be lighter?