Steering attachment

71whaler

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1983 75 HP Evinrude on 17' Whaler CC. The starboard screws on the center console are stripped and I was planning on doing some epoxy repair to the holes. My question is, how difficult is it to diconnect the steering so that I can move the console a few inches in either direction?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Steering attachment

This is a boat question, Whaler. I will move it there for you.<br /><br />If the screws you are referring to are the ones that go through the side teak trim and the console into the mahogany cleats ('73 and later Montauk style console)it is not necessary to move the console aside.<br /><br />Loosen the screws on both sides and tilt the console enough to port to get at the mahogany cleat. Drill the holes out to 1/2" and epoxy 1/2" plugs or dowel pieces into the holes. Set the console back in place, redrill and reinsert the screws.<br /><br />This procedure can be improved if you make your 1/2" plugs from Whaleboard rather than wood. Then you can drill and tap for SS machine screws that will never strip.<br /><br />A quicker and cheaper fix is to add three or four more screws to each side and plug the holes from the stripped screws.<br /><br />You can find several discussions on repairing stripped screws in mahogany on the classic Whaler forum, continuouswave.com. Search for stripped screws.<br /><br />Good luck. :)