aluminum boat bounce

da-cat

Recruit
Hi everyone, I recently bought a 12' aluminum<br />boat with a 15 horse evinrude. The little thing <br />really takes off. When I'm in it alone, and I've opened it up, the front end will come down to plane, but will start bouncing. So I'll back it off, but thats no fun. I've adjusted the tilt<br />but that doesn't help much. Any old tricks other than putting a bag of cement up front?<br />Thanks for any suggestions.

magster65

Commander
Re: aluminum boat bounce

Put something else up there like your fuel can or cooler... anything. You need bow weight if your engine is trimmed all the way down and it still does it.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

You need a set of Smart Tabs!!!!!!<br /> :D :D :D <br /><br />Seriously a small set of manuel trim tab will do the trick. With the tabs down and the motor trimed back up it oughta fly. :p :p

Boatist

Rear Admiral

My 14 foot Aluminum did the same thing when alone. Put the Fuel can and Tackle box up front and much better but still a problem. <br /><br />I made a cheap trim tab of sorts an it corrected the problem. What I used was a 1 inch square aluminum tube. I tweaked it a little so not square so had a slight angle down. Mounted flush with the hull bottom and glued on with silicon seal. Left a 12 inch space in the middle in front of motor.

mattttt25

Commander

cheap fin for the engine would probably work in this application.

fireman57

Captain

Weight will get rid of the bounce. You don't want any wind to catch and flip you, 'cause it will.

D

DJ

Too much weight in the stern (rear)<br /><br />Move some things around.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I have one of those with a 9.9. I set my fuel tank in the middle & use a long fuel line.

da-cat

Recruit

Thanks for the great suggestions. I'll give'em a shot.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have the same setup as you - 12 foot with 15 HP. Mine did the same thing. I put on a cheap set of auto-trim tabs and it sits nice and level all the time and moves faster than I want to go in that little boat. :)

Moody Blue

Captain

Invest in a fin for the motor. It will make a world of difference and won't cost more than about $40.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Move the trim pin toward the transom one hole if possible. The engine may be trimmed a little to high creating too much bow lift.

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

da-cat - You say you just purchased this rig, so this boat and set up is new to you, this is what concerns me. I don't want to say this - but I wish you would have a lot of running time with a set-up like this and push the boat to it's performance limits and would have experienced close calls or situations where you knew the dangers. That's when one really understands what can happen.<br /><br />I think this is not what you want to hear. #1 - If the motor hp is over the boats rating, change it! But it sounds like you know what it needs. What you have done with the motor tilt and your thought of putting a bag of cement in the front is the best to do. If that's what it needs. For safety sake you need to add weight to the front.<br /><br />The way it is now doing all the other tricks will make the boat perform much better but the front is still to light. When you hit big waves, wakes, or get wind or wind gusts under or hit something, the boat could flip over or it will pick the front end up and put it in another direction and that could knock you off the seat or flip you out or flip the boat.<br /><br />But Wow! - when you get it right, this boat should be the best fun there is! Wear your life vest, use the cutoff switch lanyard if you have it and tighten the tension on the tiller steering.