Chaparral

wmteich

Seaman Apprentice
I have noticed very few people talk about Chaparrals on these posts. I was wondering why that was? When I do my research they seem to have numerous boat of the year awards. They seem to be a very high quality boat. Is it the cost of the boat that stears people away? But isn't the old adage you get what you pay for the case in terms of Chaparral? just curious if anyone had thoughts.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Chaparral

My guess would be price. The main focus here at iboats is fishing. And not many folks would pick such a posh boat for fishing. Another thread on Chap - Chaparral used boat..Any Good? <br /><br />Did you have any particular size/type Chap in mind?<br /><br />Kelly Cook

wmteich

Seaman Apprentice

I am looking at a 2001 230SSI bowrider with the extended swim platform. It has a 5.7 310 HP Bravo three. It has all the beels and whistle, almost every option thats available. Engine has 85 hours on it an the boat is in very, very good condition. I had it surveyed and it passed with flying colors. It comes with a trailor. The price is $28,000. I looked at other boats and it just seems that Chaparral does all the little things right.<br /><br />What are your thoughts?

QC

Supreme Mariner

I would double check the engine specs. There was not a 5.7 at 310 bhp. The highest they went with the 5.7 was 300 with the 350 mag name on it. I would just want to be sure what I was buying. A buddy of mine just bought the 236 SSi new. Has Volvo DP with 320 bhp. Runs very well and hits about 53 MPH lightly loaded. Different boat, different hull, different drive but at least some refence points for you.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Very nice design. In some ways I like that '01 better than their current designs. That model was rated for up to 385hp. The 310 with BIII should be Ok. Low hours for a 4 year old boat. Dunno about the price. Prices on used boats are always tricky, especially those that aren't very old.<br /><br />Ignoring price, I would give it a thumbs up. Big time.<br /><br />Kelly

wmteich

Seaman Apprentice

quiet you are correct; it is 300 just a slip of the key on my computer. Thanks for the advice.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

PS One former Chap owner (same boat) has told me that price is close enough.<br /><br />Kelly

wmteich

Seaman Apprentice

thanks KCook- always feels good to know you are in the ball park on price. I do not have to get the deal of a lifetime, but like to know i did not get taken advantage of. I felt it was a very fair price. Especially due to the great condition of the boat, great words from survey and low hours. Oh yeah he threw in 10 life jackets, a tube 3 pair of skis all the ropes and 10 bumbers for docking and tying up. so all and all I am ready to boat.<br /><br />PS he towed it to me- over 1100 miles each way included in the price.

Sea Six

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 2001 Chaparral and enjoy every minute with it. I don't do much fishing with it as I do not like the idea of getting blood all over my seats! It's the perfect boat for what I do, which is mainly cruising around the islands and going to the beach.