120 Looper link/sync etc......

MarkHPCA

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I stripped, cleaned and re-built the 4 carbs on my '86 120 over the winter. Fired it up on the hose today and the idle seems a lot lower than before. I used to get around 1500RPM on the hose now its like 600 RPM and stalls easily. Haven't put in in the water yet. I havn't done a link and sync yet as I didn't touch any linkage I figured I wouldn't need to (I guess my first mistake!)<br /><br />My real question is do I have to check the WOT timing as well or can I just assume its OK? If I have to check it I have read that if you un-hook the carb linkage so the butterflys don't open you can check the timing on the hose as the motor will only reach about 2500 RPM. Any comments on this procedure ?

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 120 Looper link/sync etc......

if your going to rev up motor on a flusher you may want to wear saftey googles a full mask and body armor!<br />i suggest you don't rev it up on a hose!<br />wot timing should not have changed

MarkHPCA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I forgot to mention that I also changed to a foot throttle as well so I suspect the idle needs adjustment. I believ this is achieved by adjusting the timing as well. If I adjust the idle will it effect the WOT timing or should that be fine?

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

just adjust cable so that idle stop contacts when foot off pedal no timing adjustment should be neccessary

MarkHPCA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If the stop is already contacting the block then to increase the idle I will need to adjust the idle timing? If I do will this effect the WOT timing?