won't idle, wont stay full throtle then dies.

Dan Pike

Recruit
I just bought a Johnons 9.9 1981 short shaft engine. it startss leaking water out the exaust(when I say exhaust I mean the hole halfwaydown the shaft, not from the prop or the peehole) after about 1 minute after starting I gave it a compresion test and both cyl. tested over 75 which i assume is good. I restarted it and it ran for another minute and then started shooting water out the exhaust again and eventually died even at full throttle. I know that some people posted that water should be coming out the exhaust but Im not sure if you were talking about from the prop or not? my freind has almost the same engine but a 15 hp instead and water does not come from the exhaust on his and it runs great, and what about the idle Could this be the water pump is not pumping causing flow into the carborater or the fuel pump. or possibly the actual line from the fuel tank to the engine. It says in the opperating manual that if the actual cylinders were leaking that the plugs would appear clean due to water flowing through. should I take this motor back or is this a simple fix. If water is suppose to come from that other little hole then perhaps my mixture flow is not good?

Joey One

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: won't idle, wont stay full throtle then dies.

Water is supposed to come out of the exhaust, in fact, one whole minute is a little long. The water that comes from the exhaust is actually cooling the<br />cylinders and head. The water from the pee hole is only cooling the exhaust chamber. When buying a used motor, its always a good idea to rebuild the water pump. A manual will be a great help to you.

chris in va

Chief Petty Officer

I recently bought a 77 9.9, very similar to yours. First thing I did was install a new water pump. Water wasn't coming out the pee hole, even after cleaning it out. Water is definitely supposed to come out the exhaust right away. The vanes on the old one didn't look bad at all, but for some reason it still wasn't pumping right.<br /><br />Next went on the carb kit, then two coils and a new CD ignition. The starter spring, coil and spring seat were in bad shape so those are new too.<br /><br />When you say the plugs are 'filthy', do they just have the oil/gas mixture on them?

chris in va

Chief Petty Officer

One more thing, it's possible the thermostat isn't opening up right away too. If your pisser is working but water doesn't come out the exhaust right away it may still be closed until the cylinder head heats up a bit.

Dan Pike

Recruit

Im not sure if we are talking about the same hole, i am talking about the hole halfway down on the shaft, and on my friends 15 hp evinrude no water comes out of this hole and it runs great. Im not talking about the pee hole it does drain water but not very fast.I hope we are talking about the same hole, if we are I still dont know why I can't get it to idle or stay full throttle, mayby the mixture knob is on wrong? and yes the crap on the plugs was just oil and gas, Im use to car engines.