2001 Evinrude 225 Ram Ficht power loss at WOT

bquinn

Cadet
Hi all,<br /><br />With the motor trouble I've had in the past 5 years I wish I'd found this board sooner!<br /><br />Saturday the motor ran as strong as ever, all day. Sunday, we put about 15 gallons of fuel in the tank and headed back out, we didn't intend to run far. We were fishing a tournament. The motor is on a 20' Stratos. <br /><br />It started, idled and ran great (as usual) but after a minute or two at WOT it lost power and, cut back to roughly 5200rpms. I had it floored, wich I don't even do at 5800rpms. It didn't miss, sputter or cut out, just lost power, like it was starved for gas. We got passed by a buddy in his new boat (bitter!) then it regained power and we passed them back (not bitter!). I've burned up two powerheads on these things (one on this motor last summer) so I was scared to death and shut it down and we fished where we were. During the day I would start it and we'd move short distances and it started, sounded and ran fine but I never opened it up again.<br /><br />On our way in at the end of the day (about 5 miles) it ran normally at WOT for about 2 minutes and for the remaining few miles seemed to intermittently lose and regain power but not as bad as in the morning. It just felt like it would bog down a bit, sometimes just barely perceptable. <br /><br />Two possibly unrelated issues which I can share, (with the purpose of full disclosure as I know how complicated these motors tend to be) are that the battery it was running on had been giving me trouble on Saturday, didn't seem to want to hold a charge and wouldn't somehow charge up during the day (we ran long distances 5 to 15 miles at a time) that day. Not sure if its the battery or the alternator. Seemed like running the livewell pumps would drain it which isn't usually a problem. So, a a couple occasions we had to jump it from a trolling battery to get started again. For all I know that is a no-no on these motors.<br /><br />Also, the laynard somehow broke, one of the prongs on the clip busted off. So, Saturday morning pulled it out and used electrical tape to keep the button pushed in. Probably not smart but we were desperate as we only had about 15 minutes until the tournament started. I've already purchased a new laynard.<br /><br />I've called my dealer/mechanic (6 hours drive away). He says they've had 4 cases of water in gas this year (on Yamahas) and they've responded very similarly. He suggested checking the fuel filters, adding some new gas to the tank and see if that helps.<br /><br />Trust me, if he were closer he'd have it in his shop right now.<br /><br />Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?<br /><br />Thanks so much,<br />Brian

bquinn

Cadet
Re: 2001 Evinrude 225 Ram Ficht power loss at WOT

Ooops. And there were no codes or red lights or any warning signs of any type...<br /><br />Thanks again,<br />Brian

Rampart104

Cadet

you ruined my day!!I just picked up my pre-owned 2001 seaswirl with a 2001 ficht ram 225 with 146 hours on it. Did my reasearch and found the problems with the ficht were pre 2001 etc. dealer checked out engine runs great.........however after reading your post i feel like I may have made a poor purchase , some people love these engines..I dont want to be replacing power heads etc........oh boy!!!!

bquinn

Cadet

Rampart,<br />Don't worry! I like the motor and I don't believe the current problem to be serious, probably a fuel issue of some sort. I was just hoping someone on this board could give me a couple ideas on what to check or look into before I trailer it 300 miles to the shop. Living in Idaho has its downsides!<br /><br />And when I have had a problem, Evinrude has always provided support above and beyond.<br /><br />At the tournament on Sunday a Merc with 6 hours on it absolutely exploded and a Yahama shot a rod through the block. Essentially, you take your chances with all big motors of this type.<br /><br />And clearly, the laynard was not the engines fault. And I believe a manual battery charger of mine is the villian with regards to the battery problem.<br /><br />Maintenence goes along way on these things.<br /><br />B

RTUTTLE1

Cadet

I HAVE 2 175 HP 98 FICHTS . HOW DID YOU LOSE POWER HEADS- CAN YOU RUN REGULAR JOHNSON OUTBOARD<br />MOTOR OIL IN A FICHT.I JUST BOUGHT THEM?? THEY START AND RUN FINE --NOW??

princecraft210

Recruit

I have a 2000 Evinrude 225 Ficht Ram Injection on a Princecraft 210. I bought it used and first time i ran it, the engine max out @ 4500RPM. Then I replaced spark plugs (indexed) and new TC-W3 oil. Ran it and max out @ 5000RPM. the Prop size 14 1/4 x 21. Have hard time starting first time but always started second time. Idle smooth. i ran 1000 rpm and then pull back to idle the motor shut off sometimes. I checked the fire of each spark plugs, all fired at idel. One of the carbs leaked some oil. I read this motor max out between 5500-6000RPM. What is my issue or what are my issues? please advice. Thank you!