Need feedback on a 93' 88 spl Johnson

mauryc

Seaman Apprentice
All,<br /><br />Before I take the motor in to my local mechanic, I was hoping to get some feedback from this forum on the problem. The symptom: a power loss. Here are the specifics. Motor had a recent (30 hours) rebuild and all has been fine. Early this season, motor ran fine on its first run of the day. During subsequent runs the motor would loose power throughout the throttle range. Last time out, it happened first thing in the morning. It is a very smooth dropoff in power, to the point of not planing out my 16'. It does not jerk or pop. Idles fine (seemingly). I've had cylinders cut out on 4 cyl motors before under load, but this does not act like that. Compression is good on all cylinders and plugs are new.<br /><br />I was thinking electrical as it originally wouldn't happen when the motor was cold, but the smooth power loss seem like its running out of fuel, not cutting out like an ingition problem. <br /><br />Any thoughts? <br /><br />Thanks in advance,<br />Maury,<br />Baton Rouge, LA

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need feedback on a 93' 88 spl Johnson

Does the overheat sensor work? An overheated engine will gradually lose power and may progress to the point where it actually locks up. When the engine begins to die off, give the primer bulb a quick squeeze or two. If it picks up, there is a fuel delivery problem. Fuel pump going bad, clogged/restricted fuel tank pickup, leaking fuel line fittings, tank vent not open, to name a few. Doubt that its electrical. You might also try hitting the choke (push on the key) to see if it picks up. That may also indicate a carb rebuild is necessary.

mauryc

Seaman Apprentice

I'll put it in the water Friday and post back my results. <br /><br />Thanks

mauryc

Seaman Apprentice

Here's an update. Took the boat out Saturday morning and ran it for about 45 minutes. It ran perfect - never once bogged down. I gave it every opportunity to act up and it didn't. I know problems don't usually fix themselves, so I'm back to square one. I had a gas/oil mixture in a spray bottle to check the carbs, but never needed it. I'm contemplating pulling the carbs and going through them completely just for insurance. What are carb kits going for these days? I know as soon as I put it in the water on a fishing trip, it will act up again. Maybe I'll try again this weekend.

fireman57

Captain

kits are cheap and your time is worth more than it will cost you to have it done. All the dealers here are on a three week turnaround already. Just take your time and follow your manual exactly.