Help, I'm not getting any power from ignition

fsutim

Seaman
I have a 1978 Johnson 70HP Johnson that has given me some problems the last 2 times out. The first time I took it out it started the day great and then after hitting a couple fishing holes I tried to start my engine and nothing happend. It almost seemed like a bad ground. So my brother and I followed the wires from the ignition to the motor and jiggeled them a little, checked for possible loose connections and found a couple possible culprits. We then tried to restart it and nothing. well we continued to do the same thing over and over and it eventually started. So we went to our next fishing hole, turned the engine off and when we restarted it it cranked right up, then later in the day when we stoped and then tried to start it up and it wouldn't start again, until about 10 minutes of playing with wires. We then headed in. I'm not even sure if the playing with wires did anything. It just seemed to work when it wanted. This past week We replaced some of the old wires going from the ignition. and Cleaned off all terminals. Yesterday we took the boat out all day and when we hit our last stop on the way in it decided not to start again. The same Thing. When you try and turn the key over nothing happens at all. This time we wern't so lucky to get it going again and we had to be towed in. Any ideas on what the problem could be? I wasn't sure if it could have been the nuetral safety switch so I Jiggled the handle out of Nuetral numerous times and still nothing happened. I'm clueless and have no idea where to start. Any ideas where I should start looking with the Voltmeter? Any help would be greately appreciated!

D

DJ

Re: Help, I'm not getting any power from ignition

Remove the battery ground wire, from the engine block, and clean the connection thoroughly. Including the bolt and the threads.

jfm1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Help, I'm not getting any power from ignition

Hi Tim a good place to start would be the safety switch, solenoid, all grounds with your ignition on see if you have power goin to the solenoid, if not could be a wire from ignition or the ignition itself good luck post back let us know what you find