#1,3,and 5 cylinders not firing

Dock Side

Seaman Apprentice
Started my boat up this season ran good on water for about 10 minutes then ran poorly. Made it back,top speed was 10mph.Found no spark in 1,3,and 5 cylinders. Can anybody tell me if this is a problem with the stator or power pack, and if there is any test I can do to isolate between both. The motor is a 1995 150hp Ocean Runner Thanks JOE

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: #1,3,and 5 cylinders not firing

Welcome!!<br /><br />Disconnect the shift interrupter (small switch on the shift linkage on the powerhead) and check spark again. Let us know.

angus63

Captain

It's either what Dhadley said (sometimes simply moving the controls around a bit will undo the switch contact), or I have the same motor (175hp 1995 O Pro) that has one power pack, but internally the power pack is split odd and even and only one side of the pack can fail and the other side work fine. If it's not the shift interrupt, check the outputs from the pack.<br />Good luck

Dock Side

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Dhadley and Angus,I will try your suggestions.Can I check the outputs with a regular volt meter or do I need a peak volt meter? I was thinking of buying a power pack anyway. I purchased the boat used 2 years ago, it is a 1995 but the motor has only 125 hrs on it, but it is ten years old,what do you think. Thanks again.

angus63

Captain

Shift interrupt is a much easier and cheaper fix. Power pack and optical sensor will run $350+ installed. Shift interrupt is 10 min of your time.<br />From what I've seen and heard, 10 years on a powerpack of this type is typical life span (More or less).<br />Good luck<br />PS Manual has step by step instructions for powerpack (whole ignition system)troubleshootin'. Can be obtained at www.theoutboardwizard.com

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Do the easiest, cheapest thing first. Unplug the switch and check spark.

Dock Side

Seaman Apprentice

Well just came back from the marina, and you guys nailed it.I unplugged the shift switch and got spark. Noticed a little corrosion on one pin, cleaned both connectors and applied triple guard grease.All went well until I started playing with the switch,I started to apply some wd40 to the plunger, and the plunger somehow got stuck inside the housing, and I can't get it out. Will try to get another harness tommorrow. I think this one is a dealer item. Can you guys tell me what is the purpose of the shift switch, and what is its relation to the power pack since it is wired up to it. Thanks again JOE

angus63

Captain

Shift switch cuts out #1,3,5 cyls momentarily when you are coming out of gear (forward or reverse) to take the load off of the gears to make the shift easier. If your idle is under 700 rpm in neutral, you won't even notice if you run with it disconnected. The wires from the switch go to the powerpack to cut out the odd cyl spark. The switch is a common OMC/BRP dealer item. Adjustment is critical when replacing. Take a picture and with the engine off, have someone move the shifter and eye the activation and deactivation points so you can locate the new one.<br />Good news and good luck

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

My 60 degree 150 doesnt even have one. It was missing when I got the motor and I dont notice it being gone. But the motor idles at 500 or slightly less in gear.

Dock Side

Seaman Apprentice

Well I had to order the part today nobody had it in stock. $87.50 for two wires and a switch,isn't boating fun? But thanks to D. and A. you guy's saved me a lot more. THinking of going fishing tommorrow should I run the boat with the loop opened or can I run it with the shift interrupter disconnected and the loop closed. I should be getting the part in a couple of days.

angus63

Captain

Just simply disconnect. Closing the loop will cutout the odd cyls again. Don't maneuver until your idle is down to normal (700rpm or so)<br />Enjoy!

Dock Side

Seaman Apprentice

Okay I'll leave the loop opened. Can't thank you both enough.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Just remember -- if your motor doesnt idle down it may be hard to get OUT of gear. So, like Angus63 said, be careful. You dont want to crash a dock.

Dock Side

Seaman Apprentice

Well I finally got the new cable and installed it. I am having problems adjusting the shift control cable to accommidate the switch.It seems sometimes I have to go back to fwd or rev then back to nuetral fast to deactivate the switch.I disconnected the shift control cable from the shift linkage, and the control cable was smooth.I read somewhere that the sift rod may have salt impacted in them, and the linkage will not shift smoothly, could this be why I can't adjust the cable properly? You almost have to wiggle the cable a little to deactivate the switch. Right now I have the switch disconnected, and the motor runs fine. My rpm's are 700 at idle. Any ideas thanks JOE

Dock Side

Seaman Apprentice

Well I finally got the new cable and installed it. I am having problems adjusting the shift control cable to accommidate the switch.It seems sometimes I have to go back to fwd or rev then back to nuetral fast to deactivate the switch.I disconnected the shift control cable from the shift linkage, and the control cable was smooth.I read somewhere that the sift rod may have salt impacted in them, and the linkage will not shift smoothly, could this be why I can't adjust the cable properly? You almost have to wiggle the cable a little to deactivate the switch. Right now I have the switch disconnected, and the motor runs fine. My rpm's are 700 at idle. Any ideas thanks JOE

angus63

Captain

Joe<br />If you can keep your rpm's below 650 rpm in gear and shift easily, just keep the switch disconnected. My motor is at 575-600 rpm in gear and I don't see,feel,or hear any difference with the switch activated or disconnected. Those switches are not designed well (not rigidly mounted, too much hysterisis, poor cam design, etc..) and are only effective if rpms are 750+ in gear. Just disconnect and enjoy.<br />Good luck

angus63

Captain

Joe<br />I would adjust your shift cable to make sure you are fully engaging in FWD and REV, and also centered in NEU when starting.