Sea Foamed my motor, now what?

Rudy Brown

Petty Officer 1st Class
After I Sea Foamed my 1984 E90TLCR, it now has a gray colored grease type coating on the inside of the prop. I mixed 1 can (16 oz) of Sea Foam with 3/4 gallon of gas and oil. Ran it 3 times for 15 minutes @ 2500 rpm's. How do I remove the greasy coating or should I not worry about it? Thanks, Rudy. I should add that this is the first time since 1984 the motor has been de-carboned.

fishcakes

Cadet
Re: Sea Foamed my motor, now what?

I would think that it would be normal to have a lot of residue after a decarb like you describe. I'm wondering what your thoughts are on the effectivness of the decarb. I will be doing the same thing this weekend, using Sea Foam as well.

Rudy Brown

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a lot of black gunk(I assume carbon) comming out of the exhaust during the process. Flakes about the size of my fingernail of my little finger. Also the water comming from the prop was stained black. The motor seems to rev quicker now. I cant wait to take it to the river and try it out on my butt dyno. I hope running it at WOT will clean this gunk out. I was gettin 5100rpms @ 45.4 mph before. I will post the results.

Rudy Brown

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fishcakes, I just sprayed Sea Foam into the carbs while running. I then removed the sparkplugs and gave about 5-7 squirts down into the cylinder.(I put the stuff into a spray bottle) I let it sit for 15-20 minutes then cranked her up. I got so much of that gray greasy stuff, it was being blown out by the exhaust. I would have to say it is working. I also found out that stuff can be easily removed by spraying with a water hose. It just comes right off. Now the inside of my prop looks brand new, no carbon what-so-ever.

REELSPORT

Petty Officer 1st Class

Rudy do not forget to clean your plugs or better yet replace them. I used sea foam on my 1969 55hp rude and I got the same gray grease comming out of my prop and grease and carbon all over the ground where I did it at. Tomorrow I will take it to the water and go at wot for about 10 minutes and then change the plugs. That sea foam seams like some great stuff I will use it mixed with my gas from now on.

JC1933

Chief Petty Officer

Hi...Is it ok to decarb in a water tank?or should it be done on muffs? thanks J,C, :confused:

Rudy Brown

Petty Officer 1st Class

JC1933, I did mine with muffs. I wouldnt want all that gray stuff getting sucked back up by the water pick up. There was a lot of it from my motor.

JC1933

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks verry mutch for the reply Rudy. Muffs it will be. have a good day. J,C, ;)

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

I used Seafoam spray at the end of the season last year to decarb, and while I was doing it I noticed that the label said it could be used as a decarb, lubricant and a fogging oil, which confused me a little bit, considering if you look at any fogging oil it is a thick oil, like it should be so it can coat the inside of the engine, but decarb is a thin spray/solvent, like Seafoam is. <br /><br />I have heard people here swear by Seafoam, so I tried it instead of the OMC stuff, since the OMC brand changed formulas and needs to be left in over night, I wanted something a little faster, but I just don't see how something that should be run out of the engine after 15-20 minutes to remove carbon build up, can also sit and protect inside of it for a whole winter, being so thin. It kind of makes me think twice about using it, if it's a miracle elixir that can do any one of 5 multiple tasks, how do I know it's doing what I want it to do, I mean if it can be used as a lubricant and penetrating oil also, I might as well be spraying PB Blaster or something down my carbs. I would probably never use it as a fogging oil, but is it really any better as a decarb than using the OMC decarb, is there any benefit of it over the OMC brand other than the time? Any explanation of how it can be used as a fogging oil? Just confused.

REELSPORT

Petty Officer 1st Class

mmcpeck I used a granular crabgrass preventor on my lawn last spring the label said it put a barrier over your lawn to keep the crabgrass<br />from coming thru now I can not see the barrier but I had no crabgrass. The same is true with seafoam I dont understand it I just know it works.