Jack Plate Set Up

snagroms

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Got a 83 Wellcraft CC hull over the weekend. I'm getting ready to mount a Jack Plate and the Motor and need some suggestions. <br /><br />Specifics:<br />1) Hull - Top of transom to bottom is 20 inches.<br />2) Motor - 175 Evinrude Extra Long Shaft 25 inch<br />3) Jack - Power Hi Jack (hyrdraulic) 7" set back and about 2" lift when fully down.<br /><br />I have never installed a jack plate before and am looking for advice on proper/best set up.

Walker

Captain
Re: Jack Plate Set Up

Hang the jackplate as high as you can on the transom and hang the motor as low as you can on the jackplate. Should be able to use the existing holes in the transom.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Since its a 25" motor on a 20" transom I'd hang the motor as high as possible on the plate. With the plate mounted in the exiisting transom holes that should put you with the AV plate very close to even with the bottom when the plate is all the way down.

snagroms

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'll have the hull here at the house in the morning. I will measure where things fall with the jack plate in the existing holes with the Motor in the bottom hole of the transom bracket and report back before proceeding. Thanks

snagroms

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK, I finally got the hull here. Had a little trailer issue to deal with (still do with overhang) and get old transom holes filled. Now I'm ready to go and have an issue with not enough height for the extra long shaft motor. <br /><br />SEE Picture below<br /><br />The two existing transom holes used to mock up the jack plate are 4" below the top of the transom. Using these holes with the Jack plate fully up gives me only 4" above the 20" transom. The bottom hole of the motor transom mount equates to 2" more height however the jack plate hole it bolts to is 1 1/2" from the top so I only get about a 1/2" additional rise over the 24 I'm at allready. All of this amounts to the AV plate being right around the bottom of the hull when fully up. Since the plate is not mounted and bottom holes not drilled, would you recommend moving the jackplate up to mount flush with the top of the transom? I would gain roughly 2 inches and should give me enough room to get the set up right.<br /><br />
DSCF0674.JPG

snagroms

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Dhadley, I thought the holes seemed odd. As far as BIA standard holes go I couldn't say. If the standard is basically the same pattern as the motor it's a no go on the transom mount side. Both holes are in the "U" channel holding the travel arms. The holes would be straight up and down from each other. I can handle making a quick template, lining up the geometry and drilling holes. Just need a suggestion on how far from top of transom is safe? Looks to be an older T&H product. I'll also check there site for info.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Someone sure drilled that transom in an odd way. I'd fill the holes that are there now and redrill it with the standard bolt pattern. Marinas have a template and can drill it for you in a jiffy. <br /><br />Now we're assuming the jackplate has the standard BIA hole pattern. That would put the plate up as high as it should go. Then mount the motor as high as you can on the plate.

snagroms

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Talked to T-H and they said it is an older plate style. Mounting recommendation was fully flush with top of transom. The holes were BIA standard after all (my bag) and I now have a good template. Hopefully I won't be needing it any more. With the plate flush at top and fully jacked I'm at 25-26". With the motor mounted (2 mor inches) in the bottom hole I should get the AV plate a few inches from the bottom when fully jacked. Should give me enough down travel to get the set up right.<br /><br />After reading several prop selection threads (really seem set up oriented) I take it the starting engine hieght for testing would be where the AV plate is just even with the bottom. Is this right?<br /><br />FYI Evinrude 175 with a 14.5 x 19 SS prop on a 1900lb Wellcraft CC.<br /><br />Thanks for the help as always!