Clogged grease fittings

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer
The two grease fittings on my outboard's power tilt are clogged with old, cement hard grease. I removed the fittings and cleaned them out but the grease inside the unit is as hard as a rock. I got what I could, but I can't clean them out enough to get in new grease. Anybody got any ideas?????<br />Stalker

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Clogged grease fittings

Disassembly and solvent. Or heat it with a heat lamp and displace it by pumping in plenty of new grease when it's still warm.

Trent

Captain

Or you can buy this tool to clean it out. Made by KD tools. RAMO-MATIC<br /><br /> Tool

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I cleaned mine out by putting a straight tube on a can of brake cleaner and putting it in the hole after the fitting is removed.then take a piece of rigid wire and stick it in and remove what you can.Carb cleaner may work better.You have to dig around in there a bit and loosen the old crap up.When you think you have gotten all out that you can,replace the fitting with a new one and dont use one of those sissy grease guns.Get the large one with the lever and force the new grease in and the old will come out.Charlie

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

OK:<br /> I'll give the carb cleaner a try. Thanks for the help.<br />Stalker

waterinthefuel

Commander

I thought that just trying to jam the grease in there usually clears it? My father always told me that in a grease fitting is thousands of PSI of pressure when you really ram it, so he told me to clear clogged ones simply by ramming new grease in. He never met one he couldn't de-clog by using brute force.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Jeez, just get new ones. They are cheap enough and will last a long time.

Trent

Captain

Alot of times it not the fitting. Its the item your greasing thats the problem. Grease gets hard. Over time.Or dirty.

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

It's not the fittings that are clogged, it's the grease reservoir behind them. I cleaned them the best I could after putting on new fittings but still no go. I also found out that one of the fittings was stripped. I dug out as much of the old hardened grease as I could, but they are still clogged.<br />Stalker