Starting problem 1991 60 hp evinrude

plusorfive

Recruit
When the motor is cold, I have a hard time getting it started. Here's what happens. I prime the bulb till it's firm. Then I hold down a black button which I think is either the choke or a primer??? As I am holding down that button I push the start button (No Key). The motor doesn't turn over no matter how long you try and nothing happens when I release the "black button". I next lift the top off the motor and turn a little red valve which I believe is on the carburator. It hisses then I hear a click. I then press the start button only and it will pop right off. When the motor is wam I have no issues. HELP. I hate taking off the cover every time. Here are the numbers fcor the motor: (1991 Evinrude 60 HP, Model: E60TTLEIB, SN# G03007849

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Starting problem 1991 60 hp evinrude

Hmmm...could that black button be a kill button? I have such a kill button mounted on my dash, since the replacement key switch I bought didn't wire up properly. I added a separate kill button.<br /><br />When you say the motor doesn't turn over, I'll bet you mean it won't start, not that the starter doesn't crank the motor. <br /><br />If that's the case, I'll just bet you're pressing a kill button. That trick never works.

plusorfive

Recruit
Re: Starting problem 1991 60 hp evinrude

I have a red kill button. SO I don't think it's that, and yes the starter works fine and the flywheel is turning it just won't go.