'56 Johnson 10hp won't run

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjarnold

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I recently purchased a 1956 Johnson QD-17 Outboard that I can not get it to run. I Have installed new points, condensors, coils, and went thru the carburetor. I set the points at 020" and set the low speed needle at 1 1/2 turns and high speed at 3/4 turn. The motor will not do anything. It is getting a good spark and it is getting gas and I have even tried starting fluid with no luck. :confused:

Xcusme

Commander
Re: '56 Johnson 10hp won't run

Bill, just for grins, do you have any compression readings?? Will it pop after spraying fuel mix from spray bottle into carb throat? What exactly did you do when you 'went thru the carburetor"

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I just did a 1960 yesterday. The low speed jet is 1 turn out and high speed about 1/2. The low was at about 2-1/2 when it came in and I couldn't get it to run for crap. Then I screwed both in and tried those settings. After a few minutes of runtime to clear out the cobwebs, I tried fine tuning but they ended up right where I had set them. Once there I moved the knobs on the shafts to the middle of the adjustment scales. That way the customer will know where it ran well once upon a time. Vibration and tweaking for varying weather sometimes get them a bit out of set, so it's helpful to know where they were. :)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Do the troubleshooting from Engine FAQs, Bill.<br /><br />That will give us a starting place.

bjarnold

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just looked at the engine FAQ's and I have done everthing on there. The compression is 120 and 140. I carefully took the carburetor apart and checked the float, cleaned out all passages, cleaned jets. It will not "pop" when I spray ether or gas mixture down the carb or even the cylinders

Paul Moir

Admiral

Well, sounds like it's not fuel then or compression. That leaves spark. Do you have the forward most coil powering the top plug (ie, are they the right way round)? Do you have a nice hot spark that'll jump a 3/8" gap? Does it jump the same gap when the engine is in the 'START' throttle position? If it has a seperate points cam, was it installed right-side-up? Is the armature plate excessively wobbly? Did you replace the wires, and if not what kind of condition are they in?<br />Timing isn't really an issue since it can't be far off and still have good spark.

bjarnold

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What do you mean the forward most coil powering the top plug?.

Paul Moir

Admiral

I just ment you don't have the spark-plug wires backwards do you? The coil that is more towards the carb side of the engine should be connected via spark plug wire to the top spark plug.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

If you replaced the wires, did you use metallic core wire? Graphite core automotive wires will not work.<br /><br />How are the intake reeds? Broken or bent reeds will keep the motor from running.<br /><br />The timing is pretty much set if the points are set at .020" with the fiber rider of the point rocker aligned with the crankshaft keyway.<br /><br />- Scott

bjarnold

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have not replaced the spark plug wires. I checked the timing and it is set. I did notice a line in the brass lever that rides on the stator plate that opens the throttle. Is that a timing mark?. I am now almost positive that it is a reed problem. How difficult is it to replace them?

bjarnold

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I dissasembled the reeds and found that none of them are damaged. However I did find signs that there was water in there at one time.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Here's a site that explains how to synchronize your carburetor with your spark advance (ie, what that mark is all about):<br />Click here <br />This stuff should be covered in any service manual too. <br />Did you try any of those spark tests? Just want to completely rule it out.

bjarnold

Petty Officer 3rd Class

After checking the spark several times I have found that it will spark a few times then quit. It does that on both cylinders.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Ah, sounds like your onto it now. Does spark return after it's been sitting a while? Or does it seem to just come and go?<br />A few ideas - this is the QD-17 that ran a bit wasn't it? Is it possible the flywheel key sheared on you? (Flywheel nut torque is 40-45ft/lbs) Other ideas:<br />Are the points contaminated with oil? If so, look for a problem with the top crank seal. Actually I think it's a slinger on the '56.<br />Is the armature plate excessively wobbly, so the points won't hold their timing? IE, you can set them to .020, but then you can vary the gap by wobbling the armature plate?<br /><br />If neither of those seem like they could be the cause, you might have a close look at the wires, and make sure they're well seated into the coils.<br /><br />Hope this gets you somewhere! (And if the link&sync procedure over at the 1958 web page doesn't seem clear, just ask. It's pretty important for midrange & starting.)

MOUSTY

Cadet

I have same motor. has great spark, but when runs 5 minutes it won't start and feels hot. I have replaced coils, condenser, points and now impeller. still overheats and lost on this. Maybe it's this Motor. Qd-17??

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

This thread is over 4 years old, mousty. You have hijacked it. It is good to use SEARCH to see if your problem has been solved before, but it is bad practice to tag your question onto someone else's OLD thread.

Please start your own, new thread. Good luck. :)

MOUSTY

Cadet

I AM SOOOOOO!!! Sorry!1 I'm bad and a HIJacker now. Because i missed something. Ok JB you have my apology! I am new to this but we are SOOOOO! lucky to have people like you to welcome us on forums. Thanks again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.