Lower leg unit servicing 88 horsepower outboard

B.autry4711A

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello everyone,<br /><br />I just got threw servicing my lower leg unit. I have a question. I followed step by step with my Seloc only thing though is I cranked the front trailer jack all the way down and tilted the motor down but not all the way down because of the lube bottle wouldn't fit between the floor of the shop and the lower fill opening on the leg. So I went ahead and serviced it until lube came out of the top vent screw then put the top screw in then the lower screw in. Tightened the lower screw with a screwdriver as tight as I could get and yes both screws have brand new o-rings installed. Then I trimmed the motor all the way down level by the eye then removed the top screw and made sure there was oil at the end of the lube tube on the bottle and topped it off until lube came out the hole didn't take much at all. My question is does this sound right to you and I also used Super Tech Marine High Viscosity lower leg unit lube SAE 80-90W oil from WAL-Mart it was 2.04 a quart so I bought two quarts but only used about 3/4 of one quart only. I guess that is all it takes does that sound right to you. Only reason I am asking is because this is the first time I serviced a lower leg unit and want to know from you guys if I did good all the way around. Model number is E88MSLCER 88 1989 Horsepower SPL V-4 Evinrude outboard

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Lower leg unit servicing 88 horsepower outboard

if drain/vent screws have o'rings? replace both screws with new ones that have gaskets<br />i'm not sure of gearcase capacity

Marc J.

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Lower leg unit servicing 88 horsepower outboard

Sounds right to me Bubba. I had some left of the quart I pumped in mine, even after wasting some.