Evinrude Lark V - info and help please

pniehaus

Recruit
I just picked up a nice old 14' Hydroswift with an Evinrude Lark V engine Model # 40372D and Serial # E03427. I need any info on the engine that I can get - Year, HP, etc. Also, where can I find parts? I need a throttle arm (if that's what it is called) - the piece that goes from the throttle cable into the engine is sheared off right at the protective rubber piece that assuably keeps water out of the engine where the throttle linkage enters the engine.<br />Any tips of what to look out for, what to check before taking this ol girl out onto the water, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Located in Oregon.

jfm1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Evinrude Lark V - info and help please

1963 40hp

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Your fuel mix should be 24:1, Paul.<br /><br />Champion J4C (replaced J4J) plugs gapped .030"<br />Points set at .020"<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Paul Moir

Admiral

Do you mean the 'gear' that has a arm sticking out of it which connects to the throttle wire is broken? That is to say, if you advance the remote throttles, the gear doesn't turn and the throttle pointer on the engine itself doesn't turn? If so, that's called the 'throttle control gear' and I think it's still available from the dealer for not much money. Alternatively, you could pick one up from a wrecking yard like www.tcoutboard.com<br />Now if neither the remote throttle nor the pointer on the front of the engine work, likely the little plastic shear pin between the throttle gear and the vertical 'control lever' is broken.

pniehaus

Recruit

Thanks a lot guys for the information!<br />So, I shoudl just get the fuel mixed, check the plugs and points and let her go huh? I believe it has NGK plugs in it now.<br />The broken throttle arm seems to be located below a gear that is attached to a shaft. What is the correct name for this part? Wish we could post pictures of these parts. I've looked everywhere I could find on the net and can't find any downloadable schematics or pictures of the engine or part I'm trying to describe.

daveswaves

Ensign

Paul you don't say whether you were able to run the engine or not. Just because of the age and perhaps its unknown history there are a few things that may prevent a paddle back to shore. Ignition coils insulation may be cracked and open possibly loosing spark, this can be as easy as a visual inspection (mine had pieces of insulation all over the place. These are great engines, I have the exact same model . You should replace the water pump impeller, the rubber will have deteriorated if it has not been changed or run in the near past. Parts are cheap and readily available. I beleive j4c is the new replacement for the J4J. Any problems just keep posting.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Dave's got good suggestions for you there.<br />I don't have a diagram of the '63 anywhere, but here's a '68. Look the same?<br />Click here.