Repower reccomendations

mm14562003

Cadet
Re: Repower reccomendations

I thought about getting a 4 stroke as well. I am no professional on this topic, however, I think 4 stroke is the way to go. Even thought you pay a premium for the 4 stroke motor you will be saving on gas and no more 2 cycle oil. It will almost pay for itself. The 4 strokes are quiet too!!!<br /><br />I here rumors that the new Merc 4 stroke is built by Yamaha (exactly the same outboard).<br /><br />Have a good holiday!!<br /><br />Rgds,<br />MM

BillP

Captain

I own both 2 and 4 strokes. My 2s are the old carb versions and the 4 a 1996. The latest technology 2 strokes seem to be holding their own with the 4 stokes in fuel burn. They also burn clean and do almost everything a 4 stroke does with less moving parts and lighter weight. If you are buying a 4 stroke only for fuel burn it may be worth checking the 2s out.<br /><br />I'm personally going back to all 2 stokes if they live up to the claims. Sure, the 4 stroke is quite and smooth but it has too many parts and they are pricey to have work done on. I have no bad issues with 2 strokes being hard to run etc., to sway me toward the 4s either. <br /><br />If you listen to most 4 stroke owners their 2 strokes never ran right and the 4 stroke is right along side with the guy who invented the wheel.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Get an estimate of periodic service costs (100 hr, 500 hr etc services) on both. They are not the same.<br /><br />Good luck!

BRIAN03

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yamaha HPDI is the only way to go. There is an extra three years of warranty if you buy after Dec. 1 2003. Total of 5 years. Four strokes weigh about 100 lbs. more. They are still trying to figure out the props for the four strokes. Maybe in 5 years they might have them right.

jprasisto

Seaman

I re-powered my GW 25' Sailfish this summer with twin Suzi 140 4strokes. So far so good. Plenty of power, "lite" weight, no noise, no exhaust, no oil. I would look at the new Suzi in the larger HP.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to General Outboard