Stuck flywheel

Old Mission

Recruit
Ok. I'm working on a 10hp Johnson, really... qd-24<br />I can't get the flywheel off. I tried "pry and whack", then "puller on the edge" then "puller on the 3 bolt pattern". Whazzup? I don't know any other tricks. I fell back on WD-40, but...no help. Help.<br />Is it Sawzall time?

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: Stuck flywheel

Not yet. What happened to the puller on the 3 bolt pattern? Those other methods are good ways of destroying the crankshaft or flywheel respectively.<br /><br />One thing you can try is this: Lube the drivescrew and then tension up the 3 bolt puller as far as you can (with each screw buried into the flywheel about 1"). Then lift up on the flywheel to take the weight off the crankshaft, and give the drivescrew a tap with a hammer. If the puller isn't yours, put a socket on it first. :)

llfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Whacking on it not a good idea. You might do some internal damage. Might try the puller and apply some heat not much.

Laddies

Banned

Old Mission, with the 3 screw puller tight, tap the top edge of the flywheel to start a harmonic, like ringing a bell to remove it. Traverse?---Bob