1985 30hp Evinrude fuel consumption

zdmaster2k

Seaman
As I've said before, both my boats are rescue boats. We spend most of our time at idle with the occasional blast at WOT. I seem to be forever filling up cans of petrol to use, my estimate is that in two hours of duty we burn about 7 Litres (1.85 US Gallons, for us Brits that's a hell of a lot! have you seen petrol prices here??!). Prior to it's end of season service it burned far less. Does this mean it's now properly set up? It's on the back of a Dell Quay Dory 13<br />Cheers

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1985 30hp Evinrude fuel consumption

Well I think we would have to ask when was the last time the engine was in for a tuneup? <br /><br />I think it would be really hard to say what kind of consumption would be expected of the engine. Near two gallons in two hours of idle cruise may be a little high.....I really couldn't say for sure. What would be "far less" as you posted?<br /><br />Best thing to do is keep the engine in tip top shape...regular tune-ups and what not. Is your water rough, calm, on the seas....a mix of all the above?

zdmaster2k

Seaman

Hi OBJ, thanks for the reply. Motor recently came back from the chandler after being all sorted over the winter, which makes me think this is how it's supposed to be. I can't think what would have been making it use so much less fuel :confused: . Previously we could run (intermittently - safety boats) for about half a day on 5l plus whatever's left from the last time(normally about 2l) We're on a small inland water, not very rough, obviously non-tidal and we rarely experience more than F5 winds.

steviecops

Chief Petty Officer

That's quite a bit oif difference. Maybe you have a new fuel leak somewhere?