Johnson 140 reverse trouble

erfisher

Recruit
First post.<br /><br />I have a 140 Johnson. Don't know the year but it is one of the "looper" type.<br /><br />I have been having trouble getting the motor to shift into reverse. At first I was able to adjust the cable and it would work for a while. Now it won't engage no matter how much I adjust it either way. Never had any trouble with forward. I took the cable off and tried to shift it by hand. It goes into forward fine but reverse it goes "clack, clack, clack" and won't catch.<br /><br />Any advice would be much appreciated.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson 140 reverse trouble

Welcome!!<br /><br />The manual shifting is exactly the correct move. Now, had this been working OK? Did this problem start right after the lower unit being removed?

erfisher

Recruit

The lower unit was removed 2 seasons ago when I got the motor. It had just been rebuilt. I'd say I had it for about a year before it gave me any problems.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Ah! OK the first thing to do is change the gear oil. Any unusual deposits on the magnet? There should be some "fuzz" but no chips.<br /><br />Next lets drop the unit and measure the shift rod height. Youll need to know the model of your motor. If its one that is supposed to have the V6 style lower and someone has switched it to the V4 youll have to know that too.