Quick Question, please help fast!

Mnemonic

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am about to start the motor for the first time owning it (1977 Johnson 70HP) and the previous owner doesnt even know what oil mixture it is!<br /><br />Is it 50:1 Like I am used to with merc's? Or is it less or more?

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: Quick Question, please help fast!

It's 50:1 87 octane gas and TC-W3 outboard oil. If it's been a long time since it ran, run some 24:1 through it first.

Mnemonic

Petty Officer 1st Class

I put 93 octane gas in the tank... is this ok? I will run 2 gals of 24:1 first, thanks for the advice!

Paul Moir

Admiral

Yeah it'll be fine. Habitual use can lead to deposit build up, and the cleaners and such they put in it up here can be awfully hard on 2-strokes. Especially older ones.

Mnemonic

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow... just fired her up in a test tank... this motor runs like it was bought yesterday... suprising, considering the previous owner didnt even know the mixtures... i expected alot of tuning up to have to be done.<br /><br />Btw - Does anyone know the size nut that connects to the throttle cable that controls the gear shifts? I lost it.

phatmanmike

Captain

wow- you really need one of these....<br />
1900.jpg
<br />A MANUAL!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Run it very carefully until you get the right fuel in it.

Walker

Captain

If the previous owner didn't know what fuel/oil mixture to use, then you can be sure he never changed the water pump. I recommend you do before putting the boat in the water.

Mnemonic

Petty Officer 1st Class

Walker - that was one of the first things I changed :)