TN28 water problems

A/M/G

Cadet
I recently bought a Johnson tn28-5hp. The motor runs fine but there is no cooling water being discharged as far as I can tell. First question, where is the water supposed come from? Second, is there a thermostat to regulate the temp? I took the water pump out the impeller looked fine all of the tubing was clear. I think I found where the water is supposed to discharge. There is a 90 degree elbow with a hole drilled in it, the hole is clear. When the motor is running hot air, I suspect exhaust, is coming from this elbow. That does not seem right to me. Any ideas? Thanks.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: TN28 water problems

Hi A/M/G,<br /> You've found the right spot for the telltale outlet. They're often clogged, but you note that yours is open. Is the motor's leg submerged far enough? Are you running in a barrel or on a boat? Sometimes those old motors will draw their own exhaust if run in a barrel as the bubbles don't disperse as they would in open water.<br /> You say the impeller "looks" good, but it may not be. If you're unsure of the age of it, replace it. New ones are still available - same one was used in the 3-7.5hp models from the 1950s onwards. Cheap insurance in any case.<br /> There is no thermostat on that motor. ..<br /><br />- Scott

A/M/G

Cadet

Thanks for the reply. I was indeed running in a barrel. I will take it to the river and see if that makes a difference, if not I will relpace the impeller. Thanks.

A/M/G

Cadet

That did it, open water, pumps fine. Thanks again.