Water Pump Kit Information

rdgallo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I hope I am posting this question on the correct forum. I have a 1994 Johnson 150 FastStrike (model number J150GLERV)and never have changed the water pump on it. Through previous postings, I realize I need to replace it using a complete water pump kit. I was told on this forum that the part number is 5001594. I just returned from my local OMC dealer and he sold me part number 0434421. I asked him why it was not the correct part number and he said the 5001594 was the new number and there is absolutely no difference in the kits. He told me that Bombardier was just changing the numbers (which I don't really believe) He also told me I did not need to use sealer when mounting the pump housing. Can someone please tell me if he fed me a line and sold me an old kit, or if I am ok using this part number kit? I plan on doing the repair by the OEM manual which means I will be using sealant. Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.<br /><br />Ron

rdgallo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Water Pump Kit Information

Can anybody help me with this? How about Joe Reeves?

rwcreigh1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

try to call a diff marina and just get a price on it and ask for the part #.or look it up herehttp://www.sterndrive.info/outboardmotor/index.html good luck

rdgallo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Marinemech1, should I be concerned that it is old stock? Everything appears to be ok.

CATransplant

Admiral

Wow! I just noticed that I'm a Seaman now. Surely there's an increase in my pay....right?

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We have a joke at my FD here, just add another zero........ to either end :) ...hey i'm still a cadet here ....how do you move up in rank anyhow...is it based on how many posts you have?

rdgallo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, CATransplant. I guess I am ok with the old part number then. Thanks alot.

rdgallo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I checked out the water pump kit my local dealer sold me (the old part number) and it had several parts missing. I believe this kit was old stock that someone had stolen the parts out of, so I took it back for a refund. Thanks to the link CATransplant provided I was able to order the new part number and purchase the kit for about $5 cheaper. I also found out the difference in the old vs. the new. The new has what they refer to as a spray hole vent in the housing. This appears to be the change that caused a new kit number. Just thought I would let all know the difference in the two kit numbers in case someone else encounters this. Thanks, CATransplant, for solving my problem for me.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

and purchase the kit for about $5 cheaper. I also found out the difference in the old vs. the new. The new has what they refer to as a spray hole vent in the housing. This appears to be the change that caused a new kit number. Just thought I would let all know the difference in the two kit numbers in case someone else encounters this. Thanks, CATransplant, for solving my problem for me. [/QB]
I hope your parts person looked up the correct water pump kit based on your engine model number.<br /><br />A 25" shaft motor takes the 5001595 kit and the pump housing does NOT have a spray hole in it. The kit also contains 2 water tube extension pieces that are only used on 25" and 30" "split-line" gearcases.<br /><br />A 20" shaft motor uses a 5001594 kit that has a spray hole in the housing, and the housing is colored white to tell it apart. It will cause overheating if used in a 25" shaft motor.

rdgallo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, Seahorse. My engine is model number J150GLERV. I am pretty sure it is a 20" shaft. How do you measure the shaft length (from where to where)?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Measure from caviation plate to the inner top of mounting bracket (i.e. just above or at top of transom).