1969 johnson 85hp? What am I getting into?

kozman01

Petty Officer 1st Class
Found a 69 Johnny 85hp for approximately 850. The owner says that the powerpack , plugs, carb kit, fuel pump kit water pump impeller have been recently replaced on this motor and that it is a nice running motor. Of course I will do my due diligence on the motor, but I just had a few questions. First, is the price in the ballpark and secondly, is there any paticular issues with this model of motor that any buyer of it should eb aware of? Thank you for your input. Compression is listed as 118, 117, 118 and 121

D

DJ

Re: 1969 johnson 85hp? What am I getting into?

The compression is good.<br /><br />I would definetely want to see it run-under load.<br /><br />The only drawback is the electric shift. It could be troublesome.

kozman01

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks! Is the electronic shift a problem for people who are somewhat mechanically inclined or is it a problem of getting actual replacement parts? Does the price sound in the ballpark? 850.

D

DJ

Parts should not be an issue. They're fairly simple. It's just that sometimes electrics in that environment CAN be troublesome.<br /><br />There are allot of them out there and they're still going.<br /><br />$850.00 for any good running engine, of that size, is a respectable deal.

Paul Moir

Admiral

If it is in fact a '69 it should have the hydro-electric shift lower unit, which is less troublesome than the earlier electric/'selectric' versions. It works more like a mechanical shift l/u so the gear engagement is aways positive, and if you loose power you're left in foward rather than neutral.

kozman01

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'll research it further and remember all of your comments. Thanks

Prkranger2

Seaman Apprentice

I acquired the same 1969 Johnson 85 HP outboard this weekend the a boat attached. The boat is a 1982 Mark I 13' runabout. I need a wiring schematic for this outboard does any one have they can fax or e-mail me. I have to replace the ignition, tilt etc wiring. Need Help!!!!!

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

Kozman01. I picked up a 69' Evinrude 85hp last year and with some help from here it runs like a top. There are plenty of posts you can search regarding that motor and the gearcase. I'm not anything like an expert but will tell you from my own experiances that you need to THOROUGHLY check ALL the wiring inside the cowl for degradation. Though mine ran well when I got it, upon close inspection I found many wires which were badly corroded (even inside what looked like intact insulation). Being it is three plus decades old this is something you should inspect before you need to break out the paddle. :)

ledgefinder

Ensign

I wouldn't be in a rush, Koz. With controls, prop & 30 day warranty - I'd say around 600 private sale. <br /><br />Lake or tank load test; motor should sound good & get warm but not hot. Check the fluid in the lower unit AFTERWARDS, shouldn't be milky or have metal in it. <br /><br />There'll be plenty of choice at around 850 if that one goes, so take your time. They are good motors though; will push a substantially larger boat (and drink more gas) than the '85hp' rating suggests.