1989 Stratos XP200

WSmitty

Cadet
I own a XP200 and is a great running motor. I ran into a couple problems this past winter. The first thing I noticed is the Tach quit working, It will work occasionally. The second is my battery will not charge. I am thinking that this is one in the same problem. I replaced the spark plugs due to rough running (thought it was fouled plugs). The plugs didnt change anything so I am assuming it is tied into my other problems. Could it possibly be a rectifier issue? I have a manual ordered and on the way but it will be next week before it will arrive. Any help would be appreciated.<br />Thanks,<br />Lectro

D

DJ

Re: 1989 Stratos XP200

Yep, the tach. works off the charging circuit.<br /><br />First off, check all of your battery connections, at BOTH ends. That means at the engine too.<br /><br />If all is OK there, the most likely cause is the rectifier. They tend to "pop" if it was run with a loose battery connection.

WSmitty

Cadet

Am I correct in beleiving that the rectifier is located just behind the flywheel where the coil leads originate from? If so what is the best way to verify that it is defective? I checked all wire connections over the weekend after I pulled out of the water.<br />Thanks for quick reply.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Before you remove anything, using a voltmeter, measure the voltage at the battery with the engine running at about 1500 - 2000 rpm. If the voltage is 12.6 or less, you have a charging problem. Check the voltage again at the starter solenoid terminal to which the + battery cable is attached. If you have 13.5 volts there, you have a battery cable problem. The voltage should be 13.5 or more at the battery with the engine running. If you have 12.6 volts or less at both points, you likely have a bad regulator.

WSmitty

Cadet

True about the voltage being 13.5 proves the circuit is attempting to charge my battery and that the cables could be the issue. My question might not have been clear and i appoligize for that. The question I had was is the location of the rectifier/regulator located reight behind the flywheel on top of the heads of the motor. I have found this device, everything runs from it to my ststor under the flywheel, out to my coils for the spark and out to the hot side of my solenoid. I would hate to take all wires loose to replace it and that not be what I need to remove. Also is it a 2-piece device "top and bottom"? Thanks

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The reg/rec is on top of the block, not either of the heads. It is a one piece part. The wires for it will go to a terminal board and the starter solenoid. You will need to remove the flywheel.