Removing Trim Motor on Johnson 120

chuckb

Cadet
The trim motor on my 1990 120VRO is badly rusted as are most that I've seen. Decided to change before problems begin. There are three screws. One which is againt the transom and un-accessable. Is there a trick to changing this motor? It looks like the whole assembly will pivot forward if I disconnect the main piston. Any advice would be most appreciated. <br /><br />Thanks in advance for your replies............

Marc J.

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Removing Trim Motor on Johnson 120

The whole assembly will have to come out. Support the engine, drive out the pin, and retract the center ram. There are three bolts on each side. Remove these and the whole thing will need to come up slightly and out. You could likely sand the motor cap inside and out, repaint and reassemble with new o-rings. Also polish the armature and inspect the brushes for wear while you have it apart. I cleaned mine with kerosene (may not be recommended) and allowed it to air dry.

chuckb

Cadet

Originally posted by 73Baja:<br /> The whole assembly will have to come out. Support the engine, drive out the pin, and retract the center ram. There are three bolts on each side. Remove these and the whole thing will need to come up slightly and out. You could likely sand the motor cap inside and out, repaint and reassemble with new o-rings. Also polish the armature and inspect the brushes for wear while you have it apart. I cleaned mine with kerosene (may not be recommended) and allowed it to air dry.

chuckb

Cadet

Thanks! Now that I look at it closer, I see the three bolts. Since there is really nothing wrong with the motor (yet), I will probably take your advice and first inspect, clean & patch-up the cap/housing. Maybe even dip it in epoxy.<br /><br />Thank again for your reply...........