Rude 175 and Water

snagroms

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm still working through a 78 Rude 175 on a stand in the garage. The motor sat for 6 months in a garage and has an unknown service history. I will load test the motor in the near future. After the test, new water pump, t-stat, carb rebuild and decarb. <br /><br />Yesteday I put the muffs on and idled in the driveway (some small reving) for about a half hour. Ran great a little smokey and sure does like gas. I noticed water coming from two spots other than expected. One is a small hole in the very front of the lower unit just above the anti cav fin. This is not mentioned in the service manual but I do see a hole in the manual picture. Second, more concerning, water was bubbling (not lots of pressure) from around the shift rod opening on the top of the lower unit. Is this normal? Will a new water pump solve this issue or should I be looking for something else? :rolleyes: <br /><br />Other info: Tell tale is working fine and the motor was warm to the touch after 30 minutes not hot in anyway (could leave my hand on heads for ever and not be uncomfortable at all)!

angus63

Captain
Re: Rude 175 and Water

1) water from vent hole on the muffs is normal<br />2) unless you're made of asbestos, after 30 min thermostats should have had the heads at 140°F or so. Should check them.<br />3) Not sure of '78 model, but mine has an o-ring seal for the shift rod you may need to address.<br />Good luck

o/b tech

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Rude 175 and Water

pretty tough to see the o-ring seal on the gearcase when it is installed on the exhaust housing.This area can have water seep over to it between the exhaust hsg and the gearcase hsg. This is not a water tight seal. You might also have a leaking rubber seal on the exhaust tube that connects the exhaust chamber together between the two hsgs.Not serious and you can check the condition of the seals when you take the gearcase off.You can also crack the drain screw on the gearcase and check for water in the oil.Let just enough oil out so you can see the condition.No more than a couple of drops. Hope the info helps.