70HP Impeller Replacement Problem

ettenho1

Cadet
Hello All,<br /><br />I'm in the process of replacing my burnt out 1980 Johnson 70HP lower unit with a lower unit that was apparently from a 1982 70HP engine. The 1982's water pump impeller was in awful shape, and I had to cut it off to get it off of the driveshaft. When I did this, I noticed that the impeller and driveshaft were quite different between the two units, in that the 1980 shaft had a flat indented spot and used a small metal rod for a key, whereas the 1982's shaft protrudes in ridges that form a key that the impeller fits onto. <br /><br />However, when shopping for impellers, everyone is trying to sell me the same item regardless of whether it is a 1980 or 1982 lower unit, so I'm reluctant to buy just to have to ship it back. An impellar that would fit my 1980 unit would definitely not fit my 1982 unit. What's going on here, and how do I find the impeller I need? <br /><br />Thanks much,<br />Mark

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 70HP Impeller Replacement Problem

the impeller hub is still stuck on the drive shaft

ettenho1

Cadet

Hot damn - you must be right! Any advice on how to get that corroded brass ring off my driveshaft?

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

try heating it gently so you don,t burn up seals in gearcase

Walker

Captain

If you are careful you can cut it off with a cold chisel. I mean very careful. Don't bugger up the drive shaft. If you can get it split on one side it will come right off.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

A Dremel tool with a fiberglass reinforced cutting disc will have it off in about 10 seconds... Cut it ALMOST all the way through then split it open with the cold chisel method outlined above... That will prevent getting the shaft all marfed up...<br />- Scott

rwcreigh1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

becareful if using heat not to heat the shaft and bend it.it would take a lot of heat but just wanted to let you know.