Auto/Man primer

chrisausti

Cadet
88hp john. yr89. had trouble with starting . i had to hold the auto choke to keep cranked. removed both carbs and cleaned and blew out with air. Good news is now it stays cranked. Bad news is i must keep the manual/auto switch on manual for it to stay running. any ideas?

Laddies

Banned
Re: Auto/Man primer

Check the sender on the water jacket it sounds like it is not working properly, at it's age most don't and everyone just uses the manual one--Bob

chrisausti

Cadet

i'm kinda new to working on outboards can someone tell me what the water jacket is?

Walker

Captain

I'm lost too.<br />Austi, are you sure the choke solenoid is in the manual position?? If it is then you might have a air leak into you fuel system/lines somewhere. Does the bulb squeeze up tight before you start the engine?

chrisausti

Cadet

Thanks for the response, yeah it's real tight. sounds like the motor is starving for fuel when i put the primer solenoid on auto. i can keep it running if i hold the keyswitch in.

Laddies

Banned

The engines with auto choke a you first asked about have a temp sender that sets the choke at a angle of choke that is controled by the tempture of the engine by the way of a sender in the water jacket, but your later post says ir is a primer? If the only way the engine will run is with the primer in the manual open position then you still have dirty carbs. Not what you want to hear I know---Bob

Laddies

Banned

The engines with auto choke that you first asked about have a temp sender that sets the choke at a angle of choke that is controled by the tempture of the engine by the way of a sender in the water jacket, but your later post says it is a primer? If the only way the engine will run is with the primer in the manual open position then you still have dirty carbs. Not what you want to hear I know---Bob

chrisausti

Cadet

Thanks for the info. I ordered a new carb kit today. Should have it next week. I'll post the results. Thanks again for your time.

chrisausti

Cadet

ok, i'm a newbie to outboards so forgive my stupidity. I got my new carb kits in today and when i was cleaning the jets i put all of them in the same container. Their are a total of four. two on the bottom of the float bowl at the draing plugs and two on the top of the bowl. tow have a hole in the center that is bigger than the other two. Which is the main jet and which is the idle?

D

DJ

It would stand to reason that the mains are the larger orifice.<br /><br />By the way, use this starting procedure.<br /><br />1. Pump up fuel hose primer bulb.<br /><br />2. Turn the key to the "on" position-NOT START.<br /><br />3. Push the key in and count to eight.<br /><br />4. Release the key.<br /><br />5. Turn the key to start without pushing it in.<br /><br />6. Engine should start. You may have to "bump" the key in to keep it running.

chrisausti

Cadet

Thanks for the response, but does the main jet go in the bottom of the float bowl at the drain plug or the top of the float bowl.