Johnson Control Box Operation/parts

Jermyn

Cadet
I have a '69 Johnson 85hp 85ESL69S. The control box has two levers. One that shifts the boat forward and reverse and a small,red,plastic, T-handle lever. <br /><br />What does the small, red, plastic t-handle lever do and where can I get one? It is broken. The part number for the lever is 310700.<br /><br />The split-halves of the control box are part numbers 311016 and 310701. Hope this helps<br /><br />Thanks, Brad

Basscat 1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Johnson Control Box Operation/parts

You will be lucky if they have all the parts you need to rebuild your control box. When I rebuilt mine, some of the parts were new and some were used, since they had been discontinued.<br />Thats a good website.<br />Good luck.

CATransplant

Admiral

I just found the ishopmarine.com site a couple of days ago. Aside from the fact that they don't have parts lists for anything earlier than 1968, it's great. You can drill down to your model, then see the exploded views of all the parts, with the parts list shown to the right.<br /><br />I just ordered from them a couple of days ago, so I can't vouch for the completeness of their parts list and what their stock is like, but it's a great reference, in any case.<br /><br />If they have the parts diagrams for your engine, you can at least identify the parts numbers without owning the parts book. That's a big plus, as far as I'm concerned.<br /><br />Of course, since my engine is a '58 RDS-20 35HP, they don't have my parts diagrams, but I'm learning about parts that are interchangable from later engines. I ordered my prop nut from them, since it works on later engines too.

Jermyn

Cadet

WOW! very in-depth. I have the parts manual on the way but I am alredy ordering the parts I need from that site. Thanks CATransplant. <br /><br />Seems like the gear change switch is not available from that site. I certainly don't want to have to pay $97 plus from the dealer. Any ideas on that, aside from taking a chance on used stuff from Ebay?

CATransplant

Admiral

I don't know about the switch, to tell the truth. You might be able to run one down used, though. Try Twin City Outboard, here in Minnesota. Have your model number and part number handy when you call them. You can also email them, but it's probably better in this case to give them a call. Their number's on the site:<br /><br /> http://www.tcoutboard.com