15 hp Johnson won't go fast

bigbassbrent

Cadet
Hi ALL<br /><br />I have 15 hp johnson that starts, runs great/fine at low speed, but as soon as I try to go fast the engine revs up and immediately revs back down again, and unless I turn the gas lever back to slow speed, the engine will turn off. I checked to make sure I don't have a tank, gas line, connector problem but that isn't the case (same issue no matter whose tank I use). I checked to make sure the fuel filter wasn't plugged up, but it is clean. I checked for fuel leaks but can't see/smell any. <br /><br />Is this a carb problem??? I don't know much about carbs but maybe some else does???? Can you help??? It is a 1980's Johnson. THanks in advance!!! Brent

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: 15 hp Johnson won't go fast

Welcome to iboats. :) <br /><br />Sounds like there's a restriction in your main jet. That's on the bottom of the carb and dirt or varnish can partially block it and not allow enough gas to pass. They're very simple carbs. If you've ever had one apart from a lawnmower, you wouldn't run into any suprises. A manual might help. You can find them at many public libraries.

bigbassbrent

Cadet

Originally posted by WillyBWright:<br /> Welcome to iboats. :) <br /><br />Sounds like there's a restriction in your main jet. That's on the bottom of the carb and dirt or varnish can partially block it and not allow enough gas to pass. They're very simple carbs. If you've ever had one apart from a lawnmower, you wouldn't run into any suprises. A manual might help. You can find them at many public libraries.
I looked at the carb (model e15rcrm by the way)and it seems I only have a low speed adjusting screw. Should I have a highspeed adjusting screw also, or is the highspeed jet "the main jet" and is the main jet only accessible by removing the carb from the motor....(The main jet is plugged up and can only be accessed by dissassembling the carb)??? (Is the main jet is within the bowl of the carb???)<br /><br />Thanks<br />Brent

fireman57

Captain

Yes your carb needs to be taken apart and cleaned thoroughly if not rebuilt while you have it opened up. Get a good manual and it should be easy. All the jets need to be cleaned with air blown through.