Engine dies intermittently

Dirty Worm

Seaman Apprentice
Just got a 20Ft 1998 Dusky CC with a 175 Evinrude Ocean Pro O/B.<br />The engine runs awesome except occasionally while running at about 4,000rpm it will just Stall but then start back up without problem. <br />( No sputtering or noises, just like you turned the key off while running) Any ideas why motor would suddenly quit then fire right back up without problem. <br />Could it be the water/fuel filter?

angus63

Captain
Re: Engine dies intermittently

Make sure your cutoff switch lanyard is secure. Sometimes the switch is borderline and hitting a wake at cruise speed will jolt it enough to shut ya down. If it starts up fine after occuring and runs the rest of the day without incident, I do not believe it's fuel or ignition issues.<br />Good luck

Walker

Captain

Check all your ground connections to the engine and the battery also.

Dirty Worm

Seaman Apprentice

I don't have a cutoff switch. I guess this is gonna be one of those hard to figure problems since it doesn't happen all the time.

Sivart

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a similar problem with my 92 Evinrude 200 XP. You can be cruising along at any given speed and it will just die. At first it would start right up. Now it takes a while but I think I am narrowing the problem down. The last time it had an "episode" and I couldnt get it to fire I moved the gear shifter back and forth (from forward to reverse) Put it back in neutral and it busted right off. Worked fine the rest of the day. Usually after it does it once and I get it restarted it wont do it again for a while. Maybe happened 3 times last summer.

angus63

Captain

Hard to believe a 98 w/o deadmans switch. Is there a "clip" like device that surrounds the ignition switch on your controls??