Evinrude / Gale / Viking

kevin500

Seaman Apprentice
Greetings again all. Wow, a newbie can learn a load just by reading the other posts.<br />What I cannot find is a listing of model numbers anywhere for the Viking brand sold by Eaton's here in Canada. The model is 40DE18V. The numbers are clearly visible, no chance of them being incorrect. The motor can be seen at the following: web page <br /><br />Does it look familiar to anyone? I would like to get the correct literature, parts, etc. but I am stumped. My aft end is tender from spending hours and hours searching for info on these beasts. Thank you.

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: Evinrude / Gale / Viking

I never did find that exact model number - just 40DE17 which is a '63 suggesting this is a '64. But, here's some details:<br />Johnson and Evinrude stopped using that fuel pump after 1963.<br />That appears to be a regular 'Big Twin' midsection. That style was used on '50s 25, 30, and some 35hp engines as well as '60s 28 and 33hp, but not on the 40hp until the '70s. <br />Although I'm certain that the Gale 40hp enginess have a 40.5 cubic inch displacement, during the '60s they didn't use quite that style powerhead on the Johnson and Evinrude 40s. Instead they had a very different midsection that required a powerhead with a different base gasket. It also had a different head that incorperated a thermostat.<br />So generally speaking you will not be able to trust any J/E information entirely, since your engine is sort of a cross between a J/E 40hp and a 33 or 28hp engine. So for example the fuel pump repair kit would be the same as a '62 J/E 28hp engine, but your head gasket is probably the same as one from a '72 J/E 40hp.<br />I think the best thing you can do is get the 40hp Gale service manual for the previous year at kencook.com. I really don't think there are any differences at all. Your local dealer should be able to look up Gale parts for you, or just ask here.<br /><br />I hope all that rambling makes some sense. Nice looking paint job too. :) Click the 'Man Standing Next To House' icon on the top of my post to see my '62 28hp - you'll notice it's almost identical to yours. Except it only has 35.7 cubic inch displacement (smaller pistons)

ledgefinder

Ensign

The cover looks identical to OMC Gale-produced "SeaKing"s, sold at Montgomery Ward department stores in the US, in the early 1960s.

kevin500

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info. Methinks I have to go to Ken Cook for a Gale manual. For the previous year, do you mean a 1963, or 1964? She is a sweet running little mill. Lighter than I expected it to be too. I expected it to take 3 large men a boy to lift it off the rear of the boat. If things work out this summer, then next winter complete overhaul of the critter.<br />An example of what we have here in mosquito country, I broke one of the mounts connecting the front steering bracket to the unit. (motor mount?) A piece of aluminium with a rubber bushing. Prices were $55 to $95 locally. Wow. Found a used one for $20. Until I get a manual, I don't want to take too much apart on this puppy. Take the shifter, is has 2 gears. My bro has a newer model with 3 distinctive gears. Forward, reverse, neutral. Why 2 on this one? That is why a manual is needed. Transfer some automotive energy to boating in my later years, but need data.<br />Thank you for your reply. I figured someone would be able to look at the motor and immediately discern it's origins. Makes it (as my kids say) "more better".

kevin500

Seaman Apprentice

I am going to see what I can find on the Sea King from M. Wards. Maybe they are kissing cousins, these department store motors. The side pieces for the cowling that say "Viking" are terminally damaged. Do you know if M.Wards had side pieces on the Se King? I may have to find a couple, just to fill to holes in the cowl.

kevin500

Seaman Apprentice

Found a Sea King pic... cowl sure does look like my Viking's... Going to try to restore the name on the side panels, just have to work around the broken plastic.<br />I cannot find any site(s) that have in-depth knowledge of Gale motors. Any ideas?

CATransplant

Admiral

I found this on another site. Maybe the info will help:<br /><br />"Viking in north america was a trade name used by the T.Eaton company the Canadian equivalent of Sears, or Montgomery Ward. Most of their outboards were supplied by OMC's Canadian division in Peterborough Ontario. "

Paul Moir

Admiral

I was thinking the '63 40hp Gale manual, that is to say the 40DE17 manual. If I see any Viking side-panels I'll let you know.

ledgefinder

Ensign

I agree with Paul that the 1960 OMC twins are some of the solidest outboards around.<br /><br />That makes the Viking/SeaKing-labelled OMC Gales are probably the best 'bang for the buck' used outboards. They sell for peanuts, because they are seen as off-brand. Aside from slightly less sound insulation in the covers, and slightly cheaper finish (ripples, not poorer materials), they are identical to the E/Js - same bulletproof corrosion control, same reliability, same ease of maintenance.

kevin500

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by Paul Moir:<br /> <br />I hope all that rambling makes some sense. Nice looking paint job too. :) Click the 'Man Standing Next To House' icon on the top of my post to see my '62 28hp - you'll notice it's almost identical to yours. Except it only has 35.7 cubic inch displacement (smaller pistons)
Nice looking riggin' you got there. Detailed. This year I am not going to do that much with mine, just use it to push the boat around a few lakes for some walleye.<br />Do you know if there is an adapter made that fits the front of the steering arm (if that is not the proper name, apologies, until I get manual, just guessing) that fits a UFLEX rotary steering system? If not, I will have to fabricate one.<br />What are the best manuals to purchase? For repair and rebuild?<br />Thanks, all, for the input. Makes this project a lot easier.

kevin500

Seaman Apprentice

By the way, there is absolutely no sound insulation in the cover. What is best to use?

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

We have an old 5hp Gale at our cottage in NS. Cousin tuned it up a few years back and it still purrs like a kitten. Must be 50's vintage I'd be guessing. Great little motor for our 10ft aluminum car-topper.<br /><br />Paul...your motor looks fantastic.... any links to more pics?

Paul Moir

Admiral

AMD Rules, That 5hp must be based off the TD/TN 5hp motors of the 50's. I never had one but folks around here can't seem to speak highly enough of them. NS - Nova Scotia? Where?<br />I don't have any really good pics yet. Just a few crummy flash photography shots that don't do the colours any favours:<br /> Completed<br />Other Side<br />I haven't decided about decals yet. Maybe just a "28HP" or two.<br /><br />Kevin500 - Please pardon the off topic post. I can't help but show off my motor though. :)

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

As a kid in the 60s we ran a 12 foot aluminum boat with a 5 hp Gale. What a bullet proof motor, because you might say we didn't baby it. Learned to water ski behind that boat!

kevin500

Seaman Apprentice

Mr. Paul, if I had a motor that looked as puurrrdy as that critter does, I would be showing it off too! The attention to detail is fantastic. Every part painted such as it is, looks better than factory by a mile. Kudos for your patience. <br />I haven't really taken a close look at the innards of mine. Pulled off the recoil, the points/coils/condensors are brand new, so I buckled it back up again. I heard it run when I bought it, good enough for me. It ain't broke,(that I can see) so I ain't fixing it. Just a Canadian Tire rebuild (paint) then in the water when the ice melts.

Paul Moir

Admiral

You've got to love it when you pull the flywheel and see all new parts. :) <br />Thanks for the kind words!