1971 evinrude 33hp ski twin ratchet wheel

davemaxi1970

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi I have a problem with a worn rachet wheel (on top of flywheel and connects to pullstart)I have been told that it is an obsolete part and no longer made by evinrude/johnson any ideas how to source on to be sent to Scotland, United Kingdom<br />I dont want to scrap an otherwise great outboud

Laddies

Banned
Re: 1971 evinrude 33hp ski twin ratchet wheel

Dave, that starter pulley and for that matter the hand starter assm. is petty much interchangeable on the 28-33-35-and 40 HP motors have you ck in your area for one off one of the other HP engines--Bob

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

David.... Ratchet OMC #202111 (the one you're speaking of), to my knowledge is still available with a price of about $19.00 or $20.00 US. I still have a few of them left in my remaining stock.<br /><br />If worse comes to worse and you can't locate one nearby, contact me at my address below.

davemaxi1970

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Thanks for the advice My local evinrude dealer was suprised when he called Johnson in the U.S.A. to be told it had none in stock and no more were to be manufactured My dealer told me these wheels were used on later outboards and some commercial ones and Joe I may just drop you a line as the U.K price was around £60 ($100) not including shipping

Paul Moir

Admiral

David, could you post up your model number? I don't see any listing for a '71 33hp. They got discontinued in '70.<br />That said, if in fact it's a 33hp:<br />Your dealer doesn't seem to be giving you the run-around as much as you'd think. Although I'm still seeing it listed as available, the price is a bit shocking. A lot higher than what Joe quoted. ;) <br />Laddiesservice has the right idea - these were used on the '50s-70s engines he listed, most of which were very popular. You should be able to locate these by the cart-load whereever fine outboards are scrapped.

davemaxi1970

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Paul Model no is 33152F I thought it was a 1967 as this was the date on the instruction manual Incidently I have seen an enivrude big twin 40 on sale on ebay is this a good source of parts?? It looks the same up top (powerhead but bottom end is totally different Thanks for all your help guys youve made a scotsman happy!!

Paul Moir

Admiral

Not really. The ones that have the midsection that look like yours (early 35s, 28hps, other 33hp and some of the later 40hp) would be good since more parts will swap. There's plenty in common between that 40hp and your 33hp, but there's plenty that's different: it's powerhead won't fit your midsection, for example. <br />When I did the restoration on my 28hp, I picked up an entire parts engine since I was missing quite a few pieces. Cost $70 for a dead one and I'm sure they were happy to get that to see the end of it. The trick is to find out where the local outboard junkyard is. You can start by looking in the directory for "outboard parts, used".<br />The next one I have lined up for a rebuild is a '65 33hp. I got it for the price of carting it away from a repair shop. It must have been a runner since the l/u oil was still foamy when I drained it.<br />I think your model number must be 33752F, which would be a '67. Sometimes they didn't stamp them very well.

davemaxi1970

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Just fitted a new pawl kit a new plastic sleve and spring and took a bench grinder to my rachet wheel to tidy up the worn bit also raised it up with a washer as a temporary fix, stuck it in a big barrel of water and it seems to be working fine but does not seem to be pumping any water even after a good warm up ,any ideas on how or where to check the impeller P.S> keep it simple I am an outboard Fixing virgin!!

Paul Moir

Admiral

You really want to have a service manual in hand for this. If you don't want to purchase one, you may be able to borrow one from the library. It won't answer all your questions, but it'll be an enormous help. We cannot cover all that's in it here.<br />But essentially, this is the procedure:<br />1) Disconnect the shift linkage behind the windown on the side of the midsection. Completely remove one of the two bolts.<br />2) Remove the 6 small bolts and 1 large bolt that holds the lower unit on.<br />3) Pull off the lower unit.<br />4) Remove the three screws holding the water pump housing on. Lift the water pump right up off the driveshaft. Careful not to lift up on the driveshaft or loose the impeller key if it comes loose.<br />5) Remove the impeller off the driveshaft. The driveshaft may need some cleaning.<br />6) Install a new impeller. It's not worth even thinking about the old one at this stage.<br />7) Coat all the threads of all your screws and bolts with sealer. This will make them easier to remove next time.<br />8) Install housing over impeller while turning the driveshaft clockwise so the vanes fit the housing. Screw it down<br />9) Regrease the splines at the end of the driveshaft.<br />10) Reinstall the lower unit lining up the driveshaft, the shift rod and coupler, and the water pump tube.<br />11) Make sure the shift rod connector is fully installed, and install the bolt you removed earlier from the coupler. Don't strip out the soft brass coupler.<br />12) Replace the window and test.<br /><br />If you did not operate the outboard in enough water to cover the seam between the lower unit and the midsection, the pump likely failed to prime. If the outboard was operated for more than a few seconds without water, the impeller has likely burnt up. If it shredded, it may have clogged things up down-stream. If so, try hose-clamping an old garden hose to the water tube and blowing out the obstructions with domestic water pressure.<br /><br />Hope this helps!

davemaxi1970

Petty Officer 1st Class

HI THANKS FOR THE DETAILED INFO! all went smoothly except the gear linkage the bolts were rusted to nothing and had to be drilled out! the impeller was in as new condition but the pump seemed to have sand and grit in it(not me I have only used it for loch fishing)gave it a good flush out and will test it on loch lomond tomorrow(With my trusty 4hp Johnson as spare) thanks again

Paul Moir

Admiral

That's good news. A fresh impeller is supposed to look like this though. :) <br />
pic3p321.jpg
<br /><br />PS - There's a Loch Lomond up in Cape Breton (the island in the NE of my province). I've always wondered what the 'real' one was like.

davemaxi1970

Petty Officer 1st Class

HI paul the impeller looked just like your picture the outboard ran a treat and I hope your Loch lomond has better weather than mine we had hail,wind,snow,warn sunshine ,rain etc you know what they say in scotland if you dont like the weather, wait 15 minutes and it will change !! thank again

davemaxi1970

Petty Officer 1st Class

ps paul my model number is correct as I stated before, checked it while I was fishing

Paul Moir

Admiral

I'm sorry - I finally found that model number. I get 1971 just like you got. They dropped it after '70 in the 'States and up here I think, they must have continued for a year elsewhere.<br />And they say it's bad here: I think they got snow only. :)