Paul Moir

jfm1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for all the help in the past. I can tell you like these older motors, My johnson 67 20hp? t-stat don't have a spring should there be one? The kit I got for it had a spring and lots of other parts could this kit be for different motors the t-stat was the same but thats all the gasket was even different I had to make my own thanks for any input Paul Ps never new outboards had T-stats untill I found this site great place to be

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: Paul Moir

Your very welcome. :) <br />There's a lot of people on this board who know more about the 20hp engines than me. But I see that your engine does not have a spring like the 40hp. The spring is used on larger engines to let cooling water bypass the thermostat when the engine was operated at high speed. This resulted in higher water pressure which pushed the entire thermostat out of the way.<br />On smaller engines - your 20hp included - the thermostat itself was enough to regulate all the cooling water. Since they used the same thermostat for pretty well all the smaller J/E outboards of the time including the triples, the kit fits them all and includes the springs, gaskets, etc, each of them need. I'm suprised your gasket wasn't there though - what was the P/N of the kit?

jfm1

Petty Officer 1st Class

thank Paul I dont rember the pn a gasket was there but would fit my housing

jfm1

Petty Officer 1st Class

sorry would not fit my housing

Paul Moir

Admiral

Ah, it was probably a kit for a 40hp or something then. Other than the gasket it's got all you need: the thermostat and the round seal for it.