1996,225,lean condition

red71gs

Seaman Apprentice
please guys I am at my wits end. This motor has low hours but has sit for 2 years before I bought it. I have installed kits in the carbs.(after good cleaning)<br />changed the fuel/vro pump. This engine just will not stay running unless the primer lever is at least half open. I wouldnt say the spark is all that robust either, but dont have another to compare it to. Also it seems that the 2 center cylinders are firing much better than the upper or lower two. Spark is about the same on all. All this testing was done on muffs in 55 degree weather. thanks for any and all ideas. dave

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1996,225,lean condition

Dave, did you do a link and sync after the carb rebuild?<br /><br />The spark on each cylinder should jump a 1/2" gap with a hot thick lighting like spark. If they don't, you may have an ignition problem instead of fuel.

Walker

Captain

The initial setting for the slow speed needles is 2.5 turns off of the seat. You need to have the motor in a test tank or barrel to fine tune the adjustments for exhaust back pressure. Test your recirculation system also. One or more faulty recirculation valves will play hell with starting and idle.

red71gs

Seaman Apprentice

Ok were starting to make sense now, I bought an adjustable spark tester at auto-zone today and low and behold 3 coils are only making about a 1/8 inch yellow spark, the other three are bright blue and will jump 3/8 or more. When I move the inputs around to the coils the problem followes the coil. I have the needle valves at 2.5 turns as sugusted and will pick up coils tomarrow. The recirculation valves are all working(one way valve) Thanks so much for your help, I will feedback more info in the next couple days. dave

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Before you spend money on coils, clean the grounds and other connections really really good. Might save some bucks -- cant hurt.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Set the idle needles to 5 to 6 turns out on your '96 motor. They changed to finer threads a few years back and did not change the manuals for quite a while.<br /><br />Your motor should idle OK now assuming that the carbs are truely cleaned, with no air leaks, all new gaskets. proper sync and link adjustments. and operational thermostats.

red71gs

Seaman Apprentice

I have new thermostats installed last week, I now have the jets at 6 turns. carbs are synced. I ordered 3 new coils just now, should be in by end of week. I have recieved more support from you folks than the dealer I bought it from. He had is "mechanic" look at it for 2 hours and he proclamed "wont keep running". Thanks again. dave

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

He had is "mechanic" look at it for 2 hours and he proclamed "wont keep running".
Did you mention that you already knew that -- and it didn't take you 2 hours to figure it out???<br /><br />Sorry Dave. I just couldn't help myself. Thats the kind of stuff from some dealers that drives me nuts. I'd bet you didnt care for it too much either...

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Mr. D....sometimes you just crack me up.... :D :D

red71gs

Seaman Apprentice

Mr. D I knew he wasnt much of a wrench when he explaned the small hoses on the sides of the cylinders as "oil injection hoses" I have studied this forum enough to know there "recirculation hoses" needless to say they didnt get a dime out of me for service. I did pay 2500 dollars for the motor in feb. and was assured it "needs just a tune up" arrrggg.

red71gs

Seaman Apprentice

Ok Guys, here is the latest data for your consideration. I installed the 3 coils today and have a bright blue 1/2 inch spark on all 6 coils now. I will say that after 6 seconds of cranking the spark goes way down. Is this the Faststart function or something else. I have over 1800 cca of batteries and the starter whips it over great. The engine has the EXACT problem as before. Will start but wont Idle and wont stay running unless you have the primer on 1/2 or better. So I also installed a new CDI unit and still the same problem. Guys this motor is sucking air from somewhere Where can it be?<br />I am going to pull the flywheel tomarrow to check the upper crank seal. <br />The two top plugs are definetly different color than the middle plugs. The two bottom plugs look just like the top plugs. The middle plugs are fireing the best. (they are black though) <br />I have been working on boats for 15 years(mostly rigging and installing) and never had one do this to me

Walker

Captain

Are the middle plugs chalky black? If so test your recirculation valves.

red71gs

Seaman Apprentice

Yes they are chalky black, I have tested the recirculation valves by sucking on the hose and then trying to force air back. I know there has to be a better way.(yes I got a mouthfull of yuk)<br />Are there more than the 6 valves on the intake manifold? dave.

Walker

Captain

Six valves and I believe ther is an inline valve too.

red71gs

Seaman Apprentice

Ok I missed the inline valve will check it tonight as well as the upper crank seal at least.<br />dave

red71gs

Seaman Apprentice

Ok so I pulled off the flywheel to inspect the upper crank seal and I am looking this flywheel over and discover the magnetic timing ring is loose on the inner hub. I compare it to a flywheel from a 89 and its deffinatly out of time. Now I have never had this running long enough to get a good timing figure from the light. so I clean up both parts and epoxy it back on exactly like my 89. It runs like a champ.<br />of course all the other tune-up and carb. issues have already been adressed.(2 or 3 times) Once again I want to thank you all for your good suggustions. If I had known it was out of time I could have done a more accurate search on the forum and came up with this answer sooner. I believe most all the answers are here in the archives if one knows only what to ask for. I never knew an out of time engine can run if you give it a real rich mixture.. <br /><br />dave

Walker

Captain

Good deal Dave. Thanks for telling us what your cure was.