Water in lower unit oil

dhardin78737

Cadet
1992 88 hp johnson - Changing lower unit oil and half of what I drained was water.<br /><br />Assuming it is bad seal(s), how do I access seal(s) - thru prop or do I have to take lower unit off? I have taken prop off but it doesn't seem like I can go any further after prop comes off.<br /><br />Also, what is difficulty level of replacing seal(s)?<br />Thanks

D

DJ

Re: Water in lower unit oil

Don't go too far.<br /><br />The most likely place for water to enter a lower unit is at the fill and drain plug seals.<br /><br />If you have never replaced them, I'll bet, that's your leak.

dhardin78737

Cadet

Can water get into lower unit oil by running motor with ear muffs? If so, is this a good way to figure out if it is vent/drain seals or other seals?

D

DJ

You betcha it can.<br /><br />Especially, the lower.<br /><br />Change seals on both. Recheck.<br /><br />Much cheaper than a L/U rebuild.

dhardin78737

Cadet

Thanks - I am going to pick up some seals tomorrow.<br /><br />I am looking in my book and I basically see three different places where water can enter the lower unit:<br /> 1. drain/vent o rings<br /> 2. seal behind prop<br /> 3. seal under water pump/impeller.<br /><br />Is this correct and are there any others?

ob

Admiral

Shift rod seal is another potential leak source.It would require dropping the lower unit to replace.<br /><br />If you're handy with scribe tools and very careful not to score the propshaft,the propshaft seal/s can be replaced without removing the carrier.Otherwise,the bearing carrier will need to be removed to replace the propshaft seals.

dhardin78737

Cadet

I will show my ignorance now - why do you need scribe tools to replace the propshaft seal(s)? Can I just not use a small screw driver to pry it out?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Why not eliminate the obvious which requires no disassembly and two cheap gaskets?

rwcreigh1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

my lower unit was all water.replaced the vent and drain plugs and had no water after 3 trips(atleast 18 hours in water).i would start there

duck64

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i changed mine about 8 months ago,took a short cut and didn't change the gasket. last weekend changed it again about a half a cup of water came out. this time i'm going to change the magnetic plugs and the gasket (seal) vent and drain. 96 johnson 115 i guess i can buy them from a marina shop or a dealer<br />you get good help here<br />thanks