Water Pump on Evinrude 200 HP

valdr

Cadet
I got an Evinrude 200 hp ('93, Serial No Q02614230). Last week end while running the motor on a flushing device I notice a lot of water coming out on the lower unit where the unit is bewing bolted on. The water pump indicater stream was barely coming out sometime water was just tripping out. A mechanic told me that I shouldn't worry about water coming out on the lower unit, but I am worried about low water pressure and water just dripping out.<br /><br />Any advice appreciated. How difficult would it be to cleam and replace water pump / impeller?

Walker

Captain
Re: Water Pump on Evinrude 200 HP

Running the motor on a flushing device is no indication of the condition of the water pump. If you don't know when it was last changed or you have any doubts about it condition go ahead and change it. Cheap preventative maintenance.

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

i agree change the water pump order a kit there have been some upgrades- but be sure to give exact model number of your engine to be sure you get the proper one (there are two very similar kit)<br />p.s. its quite possible water coming out of lower ubnit is normal but install water pump kit anyway for peace of mind

valdr

Cadet

Thanks for the quick reply! I bought the boat / moter two years ago, and I don't know when the water pump has been serviced last.<br /><br />I never worked on a water pump. How difficult is this. Where do I get the parts?<br /><br />Thanks for all the help!

boatownerfool

Recruit

Here is a good website I found for parts it will walk you through finding the right part. I use it to locate the part and get all information on *additional* parts needed when starting a project, I usually do not order from them because they are a little expensive (Shop around you can find part cheaper) but the illustrations are great.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/parts.html

Good Luck
boatownerfool

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

It's normal so don't be shocked if it continues with the new pump kit. I agree, since it's been 2+ years, change it.

The pressure will be low on the gauge if the feed for the gauge is in the wrong place. Those motors do not have a lot of force out the indicator at idle, that's normal.