88 SPL TEMPORARILY LOSING RPM's @ WOT

marlin35

Recruit
tried the search engine and found some info but was looking for some more answers--<br /><br />engine:<br /><br />96 johnson 88spl<br /><br />problem:<br /><br />intermittently, while running @ WOT the engine will loose about 1000-1200 rpms for an undisclosed period of time---it runs like a top 98% of the time--i can run all day at 4000 rpm with no problems and it starts and idles great and will wind up fine with no power loss--when the problem occurs it feels like i loose a cylinder or foul a plug, i can throttle back and it will run fine, and then put it back in the corner and not have any more problems for the rest of the morning--<br /><br />seems to only do it when warm and there is no consistency to how when or why it will happen--<br /><br />my attempts to repair:<br /><br />compression is good in all four cylinders<br /><br />plugs are new and not fouled<br /><br />plug wires have been replaced<br /><br />carbs cleaned<br /><br />fuel line checked for leaks/starvation<br /><br />from what i understand, and correct me if i am wrong, if the power pack is going bad then it will only run 2 cylinders<br /><br />my last thoughts might be the stator or coil?<br /><br />hoping somebody out here might have come across the same problem and have a quick fix or might could direct me towards something that i may be overlooking!!<br /><br />thanking yall in advance for any info that might come up!!<br /><br />Scott

fireman57

Captain
Re: 88 SPL TEMPORARILY LOSING RPM's @ WOT

Sounds like a pack getting weak. Can you borrow a known good one and try it out? It's hard to test for spark at wot by yourself. If you have a buddy have him pull one plug wire at a time when it starts to do this. If the engine changes then he can put that one back because it is good. when he pulls a wire and the engine doesn't change that is the pack or coil that I would suspect.

Walker

Captain

Sounds to me like a coil. Remove all the coils and clean the grounding straps and where they ground to the block.

marlin35

Recruit

did not think about the grounding of the coil...primary use of the boat is flats fishing in saltwater so that may very well be the culprit-<br /><br />the coils were going to be my next replacement part but don't like to "easter egg" a problem--i will let you know the findings...thanks for the help!!