18hp lower crank seal

gearheadinWI

Seaman Apprentice
Last fall the motor was coughing and the like ignition and carb rebuild did little to help(good things to do anyway). Well I now found the problem and the lower crank seal is shot as in the spring is flopping around loose up in there. It is a '73 if that matters. I kind of looked through the manual for this and have some idea of what I am doing and am very mechanically inclined. Anyone have any pointers though, things to watch mistakes to avoid and the like. Manuals are fine and all but past experiance tells me they are usually either oversimplified or over complex and reallife experianced people can usually offer some good tips over and aabove the print.

Laddies

Banned
Re: 18hp lower crank seal

It's a pretty straight forward job. more time comsumeing than any thing just don't try to rush it or cut corners--Bob

gearheadinWI

Seaman Apprentice

If anyone can point me at places to find thiese parts online. I can't find it on the sites I have bookmarked. Any other parts I need or should replace at the same time? I already did the impeller and that is when I found the crank seal.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Which part of the seal are you missing? You ought to have:<br />The carbon seal - delicate black plastic looking thing.<br />quad ring - fits inside the carbon seal.<br />large washer - protects the carbon seal<br />spring - holds carbon seal on<br />small washer - protects circlip<br />circlip - holds the whole works to the bottom of the crankshaft.<br /><br />There are no aftermarket (1:cool: parts avaliable. They are available from your local dealer though, as well as a couple on-line OEM parts retailers like www.ishopmarine.com and www.maxrules.com

gearheadinWI

Seaman Apprentice

I am going to continue teardown today and will see how bad it is.

gearheadinWI

Seaman Apprentice

OK not going well sofar and the Seloc manual is of little use unless you want torque specs or a poor picture. Honestly I am quite mechanically inclined but this thing is just a PITA. I am going to try to pull the powerhead now manual does not have a single word I can find on that topic.

gearheadinWI

Seaman Apprentice

Well the last post was largely frustration venting after having a hard time getting the lower unit off. The rest came apart easily once I figured out that I had to rip the whole thing apart, I was looking for how to just seperate the exhaust housing from the powerhead/pan. I did not realize just how far tyhe thing had to come apart to accomplish that. Carbon seal is little but some grit in the exhaust housing. Monday I will go to the local repair shop and get the gaskets and carbon seal. I may even bring the powerhead and let him look and see if there is anything else.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Good luck with it! Honestly, we get a lot of posts like that. Tearing down an old outboard is too frequently a frustrating exercise. They need a chapter in the manual on patience. :) <br />The Ishopmarine site has essentially all the part manuals to '68 online. They're a useful reference, and allow you to check part numbers before heading out for parts.<br />You said it took a while to get the lower unit off? If the impeller hasn't been changed recently, I suggest you do that while you have it apart. It's not a big deal. When re-assembling, coat all the lower unit bolts in sealant so they'll come out easily next time. And grease the driveshaft like the manual says so the driveshaft doesn't get stuck in the powerhead. I'm sure you can do without the 'ounce of prevention' speech. :)

gearheadinWI

Seaman Apprentice

The impeller was donelate last summer and the lower unit was a bear then too. I will grease and seal everything appropriate. I just got the top seal out as I already had a replacement for it. I am trying to get this thing in shape before ice out up by my parents in Michigan. It is my Dad's motor he uses for running a trap line and a long one at that. I want to get it in top shape because he ends up a long ways from civilization and on high river waters. It gets used in summer too but not as demandingly as it will in a few weeks. The local shop has treated me well as have some of the vendors posted here. I have 3 motors I am fixing/maintaining from years 69-73 all neglected so since I found this forum under a year ago I have bought too many parts.