Johnson 3.5 High RPM fluctuation

Bevan

Recruit
I have a Johnson 3.5 HP thats 10 months old.<br />It will run at WOT for 15 - 20 mins, but after a restart will not stay at WOT for the rest of the day. RPM fluctuates between WOT, and then dies by about 2000RPM and then picks up again. It then cycles like this getting steadily worse. Topping up the fuel does not help either.<br /><br />Dealer has tested in a tank but it won't recreate the problem.<br /><br />Its not air starving because taking the cap off at WOT doesn't stop it.<br /><br />Sounds like fuel to me as the tank reduces below half. I am surprised it is doing this straight out of the box, but the dealer says nothing is wrong with it.

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Johnson 3.5 High RPM fluctuation

Well that can't be true can it. :( <br />I had a similar sounding problem. It turned out to be a split in the gas pickup tube in the remote tank. As soon as it got to half a tank it would sputter & run bad, but it never died completely. <br />If you fill up the tank does the problem go away?

Bevan

Recruit

Thanks for your comment, I will try after refilling the tank and see what happens.

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

I see from original post that topping off doesn't help. I guess I missed that. :eek: <br />Is it an integral or remote tank?<br />It sounds more likely to be an electrical breakdown after the engine heats up.<br />I've had my wifes car to the shop twice for a noise that the shop can't recreate. Don't you hate that.

Bevan

Recruit

Its an integral tank. I think it may be a fuel Filter problem and that is my next step. I am also going to try a change of oil. I havn't been using the Johnson Oil so will give it a try.<br /><br />I will also get the shop to run an electrical check. Perhaps the plug gets unhappy , its pretty hot in brisbane.<br /><br />At least is doesn't stop and leave me rowing!